Etherune

Hero
Platform
Android, PC
Hey all,
I recently started playing V&H on android and have fallen in love with the game. Went to go download it on PC (SAC) and when I went to boot it up on my MSI GL62M with a Geforce GTX 1050 I noticed that it was completely unplayable. Splash screen loads instantly but as soon as I get into the character select screen I am showing 1.5 FPS. To put into perspective I can run games like Battlefield 4 on high settings at around 80 fps.

I'm pretty much stuck at this point. I've already tried the following:
1. Updated Geforce drivers
2. Changed MSI Dragon Center DPI scaling from 125 to 100
3. Forced the application to run the dedicated graphics card
4. Set game graphics to low

Nothing has made a single impact on FPS. I know there has to be something stupid catching but I don't know where to look at config files or where else to troubleshoot at this point. Please help! Thanks.

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Most commonly these kind of issues are resolved by updating GPU drivers or making sure to use the dedicated GPU - there's also been occasional issues with DPI causing this problem as well. Looks like you have already tried all these things though, so it must be something else.

Could you try the Steam version just to see if it has the same issue? It would be useful for troubleshooting.

Etherune

Hero
Platform
Android, PC
Most commonly these kind of issues are resolved by updating GPU drivers or making sure to use the dedicated GPU - there's also been occasional issues with DPI causing this problem as well. Looks like you have already tried all these things though, so it must be something else.

Could you try the Steam version just to see if it has the same issue? It would be useful for troubleshooting.
Hey Ivar,
I went ahead and installed the steam client and no luck - Exactly the same FPS issue.

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
If you run the game in fullscreen in a slightly lower than native resolution, do you get about the same framerate or is it vastly improved?

Etherune

Hero
Platform
Android, PC
That actually makes it drop lower... Very odd. I also just tried uninstalling and re-installing the Geforce driver.. no luck. I have also tried using the integrated graphics card but it makes no difference. I think something must be up with the resolution/focus but not sure.

Attachments

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
If you tab out and check the task manager, is it using all available GPU or CPU power? Definitely a tricky one, this...

Etherune

Hero
Platform
Android, PC
If you tab out and check the task manager, is it using all available GPU or CPU power? Definitely a tricky one, this...
Hey Ivar, sorry for the late reply. According to Dragon Center, my GPU is at 1% usage and my CPU is at 20-25% usage while V&H is running.. so it's not even making a dent. I was able to boot up and test V&H on my wife's $300 laptop though... so that's sad.

Kaydee

Squirrel
Platform
PC
How do you update your GPU?
Mine frequently runs at 80+% when playing V&H, makes my PC sound like it's about to take off... :confused:

Thanks! :)

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hey Ivar, sorry for the late reply. According to Dragon Center, my GPU is at 1% usage and my CPU is at 20-25% usage while V&H is running.. so it's not even making a dent. I was able to boot up and test V&H on my wife's $300 laptop though... so that's sad.
Hm, that is definitely quite odd. Are you on Windows 10? You could try checking the Compatibility settings for the game's executable, things like disabling 'fullscreen optimizations' and running in admin mode has been known to help in some other cases.
You'll also want to make sure there are no background applications running that might affect performance - things like overlays, screen recorders, overly aggressive antivirus software and similar things.
How do you update your GPU?
Mine frequently runs at 80+% when playing V&H, makes my PC sound like it's about to take off... :confused:

Thanks! :)
Are you referring to updating the drivers for your existing GPU, or getting a new GPU entirely?
Updating your drivers might not do all that much about excessive fanning unless there was something specifically wrong with your old drivers - you may want to use software such as GPU-Z to monitor your computer temperatures to make sure it's not overheating. Try getting a can of compressed air and blow out all your fans which can help avoiding heat buildup.

Kaydee

Squirrel
Platform
PC
Thank you very much, Ivar!
Downloaded a newer version, hopefully that will improve things,
will test it later, when doing the 'ladder'. šŸ˜€

Etherune

Hero
Platform
Android, PC
Hm, that is definitely quite odd. Are you on Windows 10? You could try checking the Compatibility settings for the game's executable, things like disabling 'fullscreen optimizations' and running in admin mode has been known to help in some other cases.
You'll also want to make sure there are no background applications running that might affect performance - things like overlays, screen recorders, overly aggressive antivirus software and similar things.
Hey Ivar, wanted to report back that I finally fixed the issue! Odd one. Evidently my windows updates were NOT current, even though I would always restart my computer to "install latest updates". It was on a version from April of last year. I was deployed to Afghanistan for the last 9 months and had turned off automatic updates, but I'm not sure why they were failing after I got back home. Anyways, update succeeded and now I'm at 70fps on ultra settings! Thanks for the help.