Diet

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Last edited
Hello everyone,

We are making some changes to the Ardent Society Memberships.

Lower Prices
First of all, we are lowering prices for all subscription types and durations.
  • 1-Month Recurring: Was $7.95 is now $7.00
  • 3-Month Recurring: Was $21.95 is now $20.00
  • 3-Month Non-recurring: Was 600 crowns, is now 550 crowns.
  • 6-Month Recurring: Was $39.95 is now $35.00
  • 6-Month Non-recurring: Was 900 is now 800 crowns.
These new prices take effect today!

*Note: We will not be issuing refunds or reimbursements for already processed payments and transactions on basis of old versus new pricing.

Changed Payment Provider
All memberships will now be routed through our new payment provider, Xsolla. Since all of our memberships are processed via PayPal, this will have little effect on anyone, other than the fact that signing up for new memberships will look different, and emailed receipts will be from Xsolla. You can find out more about this over at this post.

Item Change
As part of the restructure of Ardent Society Memberships, there will be a few item changes. These changes will not be taking effect until the new expansion (expected before Summer 2019).
  • Ardent Society will no longer grant 3 Sockets per month.
  • Ardent Society will no longer grant 5 Voltan’s Resurrect per month.
Everything else about the Membership will remain the same:
  • 100% Bonus village and hero experience.
  • Free Travel between travel pads.
  • Access to the secondary shared vault.
  • Free items every month: 10 Full Heals, 10 Full Mana, 10 Bottled Repair Globules.
Since these changes don’t take effect until the new expansion, all memberships (recurring or activated) during this time will still contain the soon to be removed items. Additionally, because of how our memberships work, if purchasing a 3 or 6 month membership, all the items are given at once. This means players can take advantage of the lower price, while still getting all the items! Pretty cool!

Special Legacy Note:
As a special promotion, players who signed up for Ardent Society when it first went live in 2014 were offered a 10% discount. Since the new price point (whether 1,3, or 6 month price) is lower than the stated 10% discount, all players will now be paying the same price.

Platform
iOS, PC
Last edited
humm, i'm sorry to hear this. one of the reasons I bought the membership long ago because of the sockets and the rezzies.

ETA: yes the price is lower, but we are getting less too. not really a good trade off. I think, for me at least, if you were to just offer more shared vaults, I would probably no longer need the AS. I can afford the gold cost of portaling so no big deal there. I usually forget my repair globs in my vaults anyways, so I would not miss those. Masna and health pots are nice but hey, I've died before I can die again While I understand changes need to be made, once again the changes being made do not in anyway make the AS more appealing but less appealing. Sorry to say.

Dawnfire

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Athon Stormborne
Platform
Android, PC
It's rare to see a subscription price go down in an mmorpg these days, but glad to see it! On the other hand I wonder why you decided to remove sockets and voltans from it. The only useful item for me was the sockets, I never really used anything else besides them (still it's a really nice change regarding the price!)

Characters
Thorolf
Platform
Android, PC
I may be kind of newish to the game still, but I did find the sockets a nice point of purchase for the Ardent Society. The resurrect is a nice point as well just not as nice for me as the sockets. While I know its up to the Otters to make the final decision based on their collective knowledge and information. Possibly change it from 3 to 2 sockets and 10 to 5 resurrect per month and see if that fits everyone better? :coffee:

Hello everyone,

Lower Prices

*Note: We will not be issuing refunds or reimbursements for already processed payments and transactions on basis of old versus new pricing.

Changed Payment Provider
All memberships will now be routed through our new payment provider, Xsolla. Since all of our memberships are processed via PayPal, this will have little effect on anyone, other than the fact that signing up for new memberships will look different, and emailed receipts will be from Xsolla. You can find out more about this over at this post.

Item Change
As part of the restructure of Ardent Society Memberships, there will be a few item changes. These changes will not be taking effect until the new expansion (expected before Summer 2019).
  • Ardent Society will no longer grant 10 Voltan’s Resurrect per month.
  • Free items every month: 10 Full Heals, 10 Full Mana, 10 Bottled Repair Globules.
Since these changes don’t take effect until the new expansion, all memberships (recurring or activated) during this time will still contain the soon to be removed items. Additionally, because of how our memberships work, if purchasing a 3 or 6 month membership, all the items are given at once. This means players can take advantage of the lower price, while still getting all the items! Pretty cool!

Special Legacy Note:
As a special promotion, players who signed up for Ardent Society when it first went live in 2014 were offered a 10% discount. Since the new price point (whether 1,3, or 6 month price) is lower than the stated 10% discount, all players will now be paying the same price.
My legacy pricing is $19.75 for 3 month recurring. So, my price is actually going UP for less items?!?! Something seems wrong there.

Characters
Instant Karma, Boot II
Platform
Steam
Last edited
Hello everyone,

Lower Prices

Changed Payment Provider

Item Change

Special Legacy Note:
I doubt this post will get any likes, but I have to say it.
I do NOT share the enthusiasm that others have expressed here!

Here is why:

The 3 Month Non-recurring: Was 600 crowns, is now 550 crowns. (sounds good at first glance)

I will no longer receive 3 sockets per month: Replacement cost for 9 sockets (at cheapest price) is 45 crowns.

I will receive 10 Bottled Repair Globules per month which are of minimal use to me. (unless the rate of repair drops is changing big-time)
(also note: they are not even in the store so can't be much demand)

So, to replace those 10 Voltan's Resurrects per month I will no longer get:
Replacement cost for 30 Voltan's Resurrects (again at cheapest price) will cost me an additional THREE HUNDRED (300) Crowns!
Replacement cost for 15 Voltan's Resurrects (again at cheapest price) will cost me and additional ONE HUNDRED and FIFTY (150) Crowns!

Am I missing something here?? If so, PLEASE enlighten me.

Regards

Characters
Kookaburra, Kooky
Platform
PC
I am going to join the list of players unhappy with the changes. I probably have hundreds of mana and health potions in storage, and over 100 repair potions, so many I am often tempted just to throw them out (as a healing priest I have no use for health potions). I would much rather give up all or part of those instead of the sockets. I can live without the resurrects as I have over 100 of those and hardly ever use them.

I never found the game to be overpriced and saving $0.95 a month is not going to make me feel richer. Loss of sockets will make me feel poorer.

The additional storage and XP boost are great - they are the main reasons I subscribed so I am happy those have not been changed.

Any chance of offerring members "credits" we can spend as we prefer on potions, sockets or other options?

Forum Moderator
Characters
Paranoia
Platform
Android, PC
Wanna chime in.

My personal reasons why I made a recurring 6-month-subscription (for quite some time now) is:
  • I love this game, this community and the way Devs are working. I really want to contribute something.
  • Free Travel. But now you can travel cheap for ingame currency. The only things where you "need" (not really) gold ingame is with Pinbone and if you want to have a special mount like the Zebra. Don't get me wrong: The Zebra is cool, but it's just a thing to look forward to, somewhere in time, maybe.
  • The 2nd shared vault. Yes, needed. Why is there no 3rd or 4th shared vault option? Would be so cool to have.
  • 3 sockets per month. that was important for me and the first of all consumables one gets with the as-membership, that I really used.
  • 10 rezzies per month. I don't really need them. I use one or two a month, if at all.
  • 10 Full Heals/Mana. Every once in a while I make solo runs on evil maps, so I learned to use those stuff.
  • 10 Bottled Repair Globules. I don't use them. I tried to, but... no.
  • Bonus village and hero exp. Yes, that is definitely cool, as long as one is not capped.

All that said, at the moment we are living in times with lots of changes and my membership is to renew at june. I'm not so sure, if I really want that subscription going.

Maybe Otters decisions will attract more players to get AS membership, then everything will be fine, with or without me. Who knows. We will see.

Fence sitting.
Paranoia~

Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I am going to add my voice to those questioning this decision.

When I purchased AS membership originally, it had a number of significant advantages for me.
Free travel without the use of travel stones - no longer applicable
Free rent of houses (ie unlimited time on housing) - now removed.
Sockets - about to be removed.
Combat XP bonus - given the relatively small amount of combat I do, I can get the same xp bonus from rest xp. Yes the AS does currently add to that, but my point is I wouldn't really miss it if it wasn't there.
Village XP bonus - As far as the village xp is concerned, moving in to a larger village, which has a significantly large benefit in terms of the time spent crafting (and hence the rate of gaining levels) means I can gain a larger benefit by simply moving house than the AS membership affords me. (Unless my char is already in a large fully developed village, in which being there already gives me a greater benefit than the membership boost).
Shared vault - yes, this is still useful, but if it wasn't there it would be an inconvenience only.

Like the majority of posters above, I never use the repair globules, and rarely if ever need the full mana and full health potions. Personally I don't use the rezzies much either, so their loss doesn't bother me much, the same as the "wobbles" disappearing didn't bother me much at the time either.

At the time the membership was introduced, I was unable to take up the 10% discount offer, but for those who did, and therefore were paying the "legacy" 10 % discount (which I may point out, was stated as permanent at the time) a 1 month recurring membership was presumably $7.15 (7.95 - 0.80) which means the new price is just 15 cents lower than they were already paying. The value of the lost sockets alone is higher than that.

My major point however is this - since AS Membership was introduced, it has already been significantly lowered in value with the loss of major benefits (free travel, free rent, wobbles) and now will be further reduced by the removal of sockets and rezzies. The only addition in that time has been the increase in the xp bonus, which for many of the longer term players is of little or no concern.

On one of the recent livestreams, it was mentioned that the membership needed to be made more attractive. Believe me when I say that removing the sockets and rezzies whilst lowering the price by a small amount does NOT achieve that goal.

I hate to compare V&H to other mmo's but all the ones I have played gave several premium items for membership.

I normally buy membership a 6 month membership with crowns. The reduction of 100 crowns isn't quite an equal or fair exchange for premium items for membership. I could purchase 16 sockets for 96 crowns ( presently 18 sockets are given with 6 month membership) but the other premium items are totally eliminated.

I suppose this just fuels my fire with changes in general to the game beginning with Reborn. I feel like the kid who got the premium candy bar snatched from my her hands. :sick:

At least now there are no more premium candy bars than can be snatched. :confused:

That being said I haven't deleted my toons yet.

Roselda

Great Adventurer
Characters
Roselda, Rozelda
Platform
PC
I'm joining the ranks of those unhappy with the changes here. I've been anxiously awaiting the return of Ardent Memberships, even though I've been playing without it for the better part of a year. I was thinking that the free travel, xp boost, and sockets would be nice, and that it would be a good way to show my support for a job well done during the hack crisis. I'm going to have a take a few days to think about it again though. The removal of the sockets and rezzies may change my mind. I'd gladly have paid the higher prices if you'd kept the membership perks the same as they were.

CalmWind

Legendary Hero
Platform
iOS, PC
You would be better off scraping AS all together and rebuilding something from the ground up, renaming it, and offering one or two different things.

Advertising the same service "Lower price" under a different payment processor with less rewards isn't going to go too well. This is a problem especially unlike a lot of other MMO communities, this one can actually do math (add, subtract, figure out what they gain lose).