Characters
BashaDrake, Elmeti, Knytro
Platform
Android
As I told some guild mates, I got the AS membership for the exp boost, free travel, extra shared vault, and sockets. Losing the sockets is disappointing, but not any kind of breaking point for me. Others may have different opinions, equally valid for them.

Reactions: XMerlindaX
  • Likex1

Myst

Squirrel
Characters
Mystic Fox
Platform
PC
The argument of 'free stuff' doesn't apply to all.
I understand I did not qualify as a active member since I was without a computer. But since I lost all my combat gear (Starfall expansion, even the items I had had time to claim appear to be gone) and all my level 70s gathers appear to have been converted to level 45 (Wellspring?), it's troubling to find the membership I had hoped to buy being nerfed as well.
That being said, I really wish I had been here while those expansion were put in place since it is a more enjoyable game now. And I'd like to show my support but I suppose crown purchases, instead of a membership, will do that too.

Major Arcana

Adventurer
Characters
Har Megiddo, Major Arcana
Platform
Android
Relatively new player here... However, my initial thought is that they expect this expansion to be a considerable success... If so, I am, definitely, on board with that. :)

Mutsie

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Mutsie, Undertow, Susurrus
Platform
PC
Peronally I am not liking the removal of items as much, as to me, the cost reduction of the membership is not balancing out the removal of said items. Specificially if looked at over a longer period of time. Game changes made some of the AS rewards redundant, thus removed. (free housing, free traveling) On the other hand I can imagine you'd like to change the contents of the package.
Now I recall in a recent livestream, a question was asked about what we players would like to see added to Ardent Society to make it (more) attractive or worth the money.

So rather than gradually removing items from the subscription package and then reducing its cost a little, I think it would have made more sense to me, to increase the costs slightly and offer a different package in return.

Someone already mentioned adding the watering pitchers as an substitute (the ones that water an entire garden in one click) , which I find great also, but how about adding some of the elixirs that are still in game, but no longer available in store? I thought they were very great and convenient to have and use, and found it a little sad to see they were taken out of the game partially.
So how about instead of sockets, players get Elixir of Reaping (gathering), of Creation (crafting) of Mercinary (Combat) along with their subscriptions? This would suit a broad range of players, as some like to craft/gather more and others like the combat aspect more, and as they are no longer available in store, there's nothing lost there either.

Melisandre

Bog Frog
what really hurts is the loss of the rezzies ... wondering why there are only 5 rezzies on eu2 for membership (or is that just a spelling mistake in the shop? :oops:)

Diet

Mad Otter Games
Developer
what really hurts is the loss of the rezzies ... wondering why there are only 5 rezzies on eu2 for membership (or is that just a spelling mistake in the shop? :oops:)
Sorry and thank you. There was a typo in the main post. It is indeed 5 Voltan's Resurrects per month, not 10 as the post initially stated. I've fixed the original post.

sparksy

Merchant
Platform
PC
I don't understand your thinking Otters, every time you change the game it seems less and less players on the server. Well every time there is a new nerf!
Like im doing the math we save .95 cents off membership but lose $7.00 from ressies and sockets?
How is this suppose to encourage more members?

Shadowcave

Wizard
Characters
Shadowcave, Shadowsmack
Platform
PC
Last edited
I'll be really honest here. I've been playing for 6 years and never felt the need to get membership. Supporting the game instead buying crowns when I really wanted something as a treat. Recently, after all the hard work I have seen Otters do on keeping us all happy and entertained, I was thinking about a 6 month. When I looked into it however I was rather disappointed with what was actually on offer to me. Lowering the cost now doesn't change the fact that I really don't need xp (perhaps on alts but I've managed so far) Rarely use mana and hp pots Have enough gold now to not notice travel charge etc and the things that are being taken off would probably be the only things to tempt me. I'm sorry guys but its just not value for money for me. I feel if the addition of motes, supplies, elixir and xp for combat and village were on offer I would be much more likely to join, as these are the things that would be a nice perk for me and so worth the price.

sparksy

Merchant
Platform
PC
I don't understand your thinking Otters, every time you change the game it seems less and less players on the server. Well every time there is a new nerf!
Like im doing the math we save .95 cents off membership but lose $7.00 from ressies and sockets?
How is this suppose to encourage more members?
This post still on my mind I will still purchase membership.
Whats on my mind is at the end of the day you peps need to generate income to pay your power bills and so forth, so just be honest with us and don't tell us we are saving, as any blind freddy can see between the lines.
At the end of the day this is a business and it needs to generate income to keep the game going forward.

Characters
Caraldor / Loxana
Platform
iOS, PC
Whats on my mind is at the end of the day you peps need to generate income to pay your power bills and so forth, so just be honest with us and don't tell us we are saving, as any blind freddy can see between the lines.
At the end of the day this is a business and it needs to generate income to keep the game going forward.
yes, but business can't succeed without happy customers.

Merryfoot

Hunter
Hello everyone,

We are making some changes to the Ardent Society Memberships.

Lower Prices
First of all, we are lowering prices for all subscription types and durations.
  • 1-Month Recurring: Was $7.95 is now $7.00
  • 3-Month Recurring: Was $21.95 is now $20.00
  • 3-Month Non-recurring: Was 600 crowns, is now 550 crowns.
  • 6-Month Recurring: Was $39.95 is now $35.00
  • 6-Month Non-recurring: Was 900 is now 800 crowns.
These new prices take effect today!

*Note: We will not be issuing refunds or reimbursements for already processed payments and transactions on basis of old versus new pricing.

Changed Payment Provider
All memberships will now be routed through our new payment provider, Xsolla. Since all of our memberships are processed via PayPal, this will have little effect on anyone, other than the fact that signing up for new memberships will look different, and emailed receipts will be from Xsolla. You can find out more about this over at this post.

Item Change
As part of the restructure of Ardent Society Memberships, there will be a few item changes. These changes will not be taking effect until the new expansion (expected before Summer 2019).
  • Ardent Society will no longer grant 3 Sockets per month.
  • Ardent Society will no longer grant 5 Voltan’s Resurrect per month.
Everything else about the Membership will remain the same:
  • 100% Bonus village and hero experience.
  • Free Travel between travel pads.
  • Access to the secondary shared vault.
  • Free items every month: 10 Full Heals, 10 Full Mana, 10 Bottled Repair Globules.
Since these changes don’t take effect until the new expansion, all memberships (recurring or activated) during this time will still contain the soon to be removed items. Additionally, because of how our memberships work, if purchasing a 3 or 6 month membership, all the items are given at once. This means players can take advantage of the lower price, while still getting all the items! Pretty cool!

Special Legacy Note:
As a special promotion, players who signed up for Ardent Society when it first went live in 2014 were offered a 10% discount. Since the new price point (whether 1,3, or 6 month price) is lower than the stated 10% discount, all players will now be paying the same price.
As one player that signed up for Ardent membership in 2014, the changes really do not matter that much to me. After all, we didn't get sockets back then. I was more gratified by the travel ease and the secondary shared vault. All this bickering is really pointless. Join if you like the benefits that are provided or don't join if it doesn't suit you. Kind of like real life if you remember.

Reactions: Braithos
  • Likex1

Aruthra

Wizard
Characters
Thorolf
Platform
Android, PC
I doubt this post will get any likes, but I have to say it.
I do NOT share the enthusiasm that others have expressed here!

Here is why:

The 3 Month Non-recurring: Was 600 crowns, is now 550 crowns. (sounds good at first glance)

I will no longer receive 3 sockets per month: Replacement cost for 9 sockets (at cheapest price) is 45 crowns.

I will receive 10 Bottled Repair Globules per month which are of minimal use to me. (unless the rate of repair drops is changing big-time)
(also note: they are not even in the store so can't be much demand)

So, to replace those 10 Voltan's Resurrects per month I will no longer get:
Replacement cost for 30 Voltan's Resurrects (again at cheapest price) will cost me an additional THREE HUNDRED (300) Crowns!

Am I missing something here?? If so, PLEASE enlighten me.

Regards
Doing some of my own math based on a 6 month Ardent Society Renewal (If any figures are wrong please let me know):
6 months is now $4.95 USD cheaper to buy - Cool
Loss of items over the 6 months would be 18 socket, and 30 resurrect - Not Cool
Rough cost to replace those lost items:
- 18 sockets (lets round to 20 for easy purchase) 100 crowns
- Ouch
- 30 resurrect 300 crowns - Ouch
So 400 crowns roughly to replace the lost items. So for easy math again lets combine the 350 crown package and the 70 crown package to give us 420 crowns at a cost of about $24.00USD per 6 months.
- Big Ouch

While I understand the need for balance, and for Madotter Games to make budget; I remember also, it being mentioned making or keeping Ardent Membership attractive. This change neither keeps nor makes it more attractive.
I by no means want anything on a sliver platter for free, but some that play I am sure need the membership and bonuses to be more budget friendly. Lowering the cost by $4.95USD just to cause an increased cost of $24.00USD, to make the new 6 month cost become a total of about $59.00USD to keep the items, just dose not compute nor make sense.

BRA Member
Characters
Instant Karma, Boot II
Platform
Steam
Last edited
yes, but business can't succeed without happy customers.
Exactly. And It doesn't matter whether the AS membership is good value or not - what matters is whether players THINK it is good value.
(keep in mind what you see here in the forums is but a small sample of thoughts expressed in other venues)
I think its safe to say those posting here want the game to succeed.

We want and encourage the Otters to make a profit and keep doing what they have been doing.
Just be honest and transparent.

IMO the Otters did a brilliant job during the downtime!
The compensation package was excellent, well thought out and explained well.
IMO it generated a LOT of good will, both among the long time players as well as new players.
I would not be surprised if that goodwill translated into an increase in Ardent Society Memberships.

On the other hand a move like this, again IMO, does just the opposite.
In business, customer perception IS reality and right now the perception is not good.

This is not the first time I've seen a move which made people unhappy.
Each time some people grumbled, some complained, some just shrugged and continued on, some just didn't say anything and continued on.
Others invoked the ultimate expression of unhappiness, they voted with their feet and left.
Frankly, it worries me.

Regards

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Stormborne
Platform
Android, PC
What I miss from this move is transparency, which is odd considering how transparent they were during the downtime. I believe explaining the reason would already go a long way. It's easier to accept something we understand than something we don't.

Melisandre

Bog Frog
Last edited
Das Otter-Team macht eine super Arbeit, allein das Handling während der letzten Wochen zeigte, dass ihr starke Nerven habt, dass ihr aus einer unfassbaren und chaotischen Situation das Beste herausholt und dabei die Nähe und die Kommunikation mit den Spielern sucht. Dies ist absolut keine Selbstverständlichkeit und dieser Einsatz verdient ein ganz großes Dankeschön! (An dieser Stelle auch herzlichen Dank für die großzügige Ausfallsentschädigung!) Man merkt, dass Euch sehr viel an euren Spielern liegt (und das sicher nicht nur finanziell)!

Ich kann jedoch die aktuelle Entwicklung, was die Ardentgesellschaft anbelangt, absolut nicht nachvollziehen. Die erneuten Änderungen der Mitgliedschaft sind für viele in der Euphorie des Wieder-Spielen-Könnens wie ein Faustschlag ins Gesicht! Nach dem Wegfall der Reiserunen und der Hausmiete wurde die Mitgliedschaft schon erheblich unattraktiver, aber nun ohne Sockel und Wiederbelebungen besteht eigentlich kaum ein Anreiz mehr, die Mitgliedschaft zu erwerben. Mir ist klar, dass auch Otter finanziell überleben müssen, aber ist das nicht der falsche Weg? Sollte ein Verkaufsprodukt nicht den Erwartungen der Käufer gerecht werden? Welche Anforderungen stellen denn die Spieler an die Mitgliedschaft? Für welche darin enthaltenen Items sind sie bereit, Geld auszugeben? Sicher, man könnte diverse Items im Shop dazukaufen, aber machen das dann tatsächlich so viel mehr?

Viele Ideen von Spielern hier im Forum werden zwar umgesetzt, aber bei vielem wird man - meiner Meinung nach - vor vollendete Tatsachen gestellt ohne zu hinterfragen, wo die eigentlichen Interessen der Spieler liegen und das ist sehr schade. Die Interessen sowohl der Spieler als auch der Devs auf einen gemeinsamen Nenner zu bekommen, ist sicherlich sehr schwierig, aber ich bin mir sicher, dass ihr das irgendwie "anders" schaffen werdet!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Otter team is doing a great job! The handling during the last few weeks has shown that you have strong nerves, that you are getting the most out of an incredible and chaotic situation, while seeking closeness and communication with the players. This is absolutely no implicitness and this commitment deserves a big thank you! (At this point also thank you very much for the generous compensation for the downtime!) Everyone can realize that you care a lot about your players (and not only financially)!

However, I absolutely can´t understand the current development of the Ardent Society. The renewed membership changes are like a punch in the face for many in the euphoria of replaying! After the removal of the travel stones and the house rent the membership became already much less attractive, but now without sockets and rezzies there is hardly any incentive to acquire the membership. I realize that even Otters have to survive financially, but is this really the right way? Should a selling product not meet the expectations of the purchaser? Which requirements do the players have regarding the membership? For which items are they willing to spend money? Sure, you could buy a variety of items in the shop, but how many will really do that?

Many ideas from players here in the forum are indeed implemented to the game, but in many cases we are - in my opinion - faced with accomplished facts without questioning where the real interests of the players are and that is a great pity. To balance the interests of both players and devs is certainly very difficult, but I'm sure you'll do it somehow "different"!

Hollyanna

Tuskermoon
Platform
PC
Last edited
Firstly, I want to say to the MadOtter team, thank you again for your communication and transparency during the downtime recently - being a player of many games, I really do appreciate who you are and how you interact with us, the community.

RL caused me to play very sparsely over the last year and a half or so, and I dropped my membership during that time. Seeing your efforts during the data breach made me really want to re-sub again, mainly to support such a great team.

I am waiting for the opportunity to re-sub on my PC (perhaps that option is available now?), but I did want to weigh in on the AS changes.

It's always nice to see a price drop - but as others have pointed out, cost-wise it's not really balancing out.
I too am unhappy to see removal of items - sockets mainly. (BTW, I still miss being able to keep my house for more than 2 weeks with my sub :p)

It's always risky to "take away" from players - whether it's a huge nerf bat to a class, or cutting a stack size by 75% (I think that was about when I left, glad to see it was adjusted, however small :D) - or removing long-standing benefits from a subscription.

Some games will award subscribers with a monthly stipend of store currency - not sure if that would be a viable option for your monetization model or not. Perhaps reduce the number of sockets and rezzies awarded, rather than removing them completely?

Just my thoughts on the matter. My opinion of you as a talented and hard-working team (and of the great strides you have made in the game. with timely expansions) remains unchanged.

Edited to add: I see the forum post now that membership payment on PC is live. I am familiar with Xsolla, and have never had issues with it, so that sounds like a good choice. :D

Kitty the Hunter

Huntress
Platform
PC
From my perspective, this is a price drop because the overall price has dropped. It only becomes an increase if you choose to purchase the removed sockets and/or resurrects. Certainly the game might become harder with less of these but it could also be more challenging and fun!

Reactions: XMerlindaX
  • Likex1

Ysibi

Wizard
Platform
Android, PC
Ich kann mich da Melisandre nur voll und ganz anschließen.
Finde auch das die Otters einen tollen Job machen und sehr bemüht sind alles am Laufen zu halten, bzw wie neulich alles schnellstmöglich wieder in Ordnung zu bringen. Auch von mir an dieser Stelle nochmal ein herzliches Dankeschön für die großzügige Entschädigung. Trotzdem finde ich es schade, dass einige Dinge (Dorfbewohnererfahrungstränke) nicht von Ardentmitgliedern genutzt werden können.
Dass nun auch noch die Bonis der Ardentmitglieder gekürzt oder gar gestrichen werden, schlägt mir dann doch etwas auf den Magen. Auch in meinen Augen fehlt immer mehr der Anreiz noch weiter die Mitgliedschaft zu nutzen. Zu hoch der Preis für das was mittlerweile nur noch geboten wird. Schade das gerade Dinge wie Sockel oder Voltanswiederbelebung gekürzt oder gar ganz gestrichen werden. Wer braucht Reperaturglobulis, da sie ja beim Sammeln droppen (meine pers. Meinung).
Aber evtl. könnte man ja wenigstens, einen Kompromiss finden, mit dem sich mehr Spieler besser anfreunden könnten.
Von daher mein Vorschlag einer Umfrage, in der ermittelt wird, welche Gegenstände als Boni bei den Spielern mehr Zuspruch finden würde!!!
Wäre toll wenn viele mitmachen würden, denn wie heißt es so schön, "GEMEINSAM SIND WIR STARK" ;)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I can only fully agree with Melisandre.
Find also that the Otters do a great job and are very keen to keep everything going, or as recently as possible to bring everything back in order as soon as possible. Also from me at this point again a big thank you for the generous compensation. Still, I'm sorry that some things (villager experience potions) can not be used by Ardent members.
The fact that now also the bonuses of the Ardent members are cut or even canceled, hits me then but something on the stomach. Also in my eyes the incentive to use the membership is missing more and more. Too high the price for what is now only offered. It's a pity that things like pedestal or Voltans revival are being cut short or completely canceled. Who needs repair globulis, since they drop when collecting (my personal opinion).
But maybe you could at least, find a compromise, with which more players could make friends.
Therefore, my suggestion of a survey, which is determined which items as bonuses would be more popular with the players !!!
Would be great if many would join, because as the saying goes, "TOGETHER WE ARE STRONG";)
And please excuse my bad english ^^