Characters
Caraldor / Loxana
Platform
iOS, PC
From my perspective, this is a price drop because the overall price has dropped. It only becomes an increase if you choose to purchase the removed sockets and/or resurrects. Certainly the game might become harder with less of these but it could also be more challenging and fun!
I’m not sure it would get harder, I have lived without AS until now, and still have a pile of free sockets and rezzes. Although my max level was 76.... I did buy AS for the XP boost so I can level higher faster before the month is up.

I can see the point of others who have posted that AS changes don’t have much to offer high level characters, so I hope the otters have another plan to encourage them to stay with the game, otherwise..... the only reason to come back is with new expansions, which really seems normal to me after pkaying other games and then going back when something new is released.

Caly

BRA Member
Characters
Caly Adaria Chrysis & 2 others
Platform
PC
I'm not gonna get long winded but I am a little disappointed with these changes. It won't stop my membership but the more changes and nerfs that show up the more I and my husband will consider giving up our a.s.

Platform
PC
The Otters need to do what is best for this game. We may think our opinions are facts, but the fact is they decided this is a good idea.

This is a real non pay to win (p2w) game in a genre where really does not mean much at all. Most games advertised as such cost more than games with a subscription, and many of the ones with subscriptions have p2w elements. Something to consider while you are checking your math on pricing.

I don't feel that sockets and rezzies make the game p2w nor do I know for certain why these items are being reduced but I can guess that it has to do with future development and updates to combat. The abundance of these items makes it harder to make content more challenging, which costs more development time. Making a successful game is driven a great deal by what we players ask for, and we have been asking for more challenging content. (not me I love lazy runs)

In the end the question is not the value you put on AS, but what sort of game do you want to pay for?

Characters
Frostalite and Herocrusher
Platform
Android, PC
I have been an AS member for at least a year. I buy it because I can afford it and I know the game needs to make money inorder to stay around. I do use the sockets and will be sorry to see them go.
What really disappoints me is the way this all was presented. The price was cut, but in order to receive the same perks, it was actually a price increase. Just tell it like it is. Don't make it seem like it is anything else, I would understand.

Arjuna

Grand Priest
Characters
Arjuna
Platform
Android
I left the game in February because my toon is maxed out at 5 rebirths and I got bored. I will return when the expansion releases, but I do not see myself renewing an Ardent Membership without crowns and resurrect. Like everyone else, the other items aren't a draw for me.

Here's what I would pay for though:
I wouldn't mind having a second toon (especially if there's a new class coming) however, there is NO WAY that I'm going to level through 5 rebirths again through the same content that I already played through 5 times (UGH!).
LISTEN UP OTTERS
I would pay a good amount of cash to start a new toon at the 5th rebirth!

For accounts with a 5 rebirth character, please give us the option of starting another toon at the 5th rebirth. I have zero desire to level again, but would pay for this option!!! $$$

Thanks!

Roselda

Great Adventurer
Characters
Roselda, Rozelda
Platform
PC
I wouldn't mind having a second toon (especially if there's a new class coming) however, there is NO WAY that I'm going to level through 5 rebirths again through the same content that I already played through 5 times (UGH!).
LISTEN UP OTTERS

For accounts with a 5 rebirth character, please give us the option of starting another toon at the 5th rebirth. I have zero desire to level again, but would pay for this option!!! $$$
I feel the same way about the rebirthing process. Having to do the quests over and over again is tedious and gets boring very quickly. But I don't think starting at the 5th rebirth is the answer. Maybe have the option during the rebirth to keep all the quests that've been done?

Arjuna

Grand Priest
Characters
Arjuna
Platform
Android
But I don't think starting at the 5th rebirth is the answer.
Why not? The Otters want to make money for their game, and this is something that I more than willing to pay them for.

It should only be available to an account that already has a 5 rebirthed toon.

Platform
PC
I left the game in February because my toon is maxed out at 5 rebirths and I got bored. I will return when the expansion releases, but I do not see myself renewing an Ardent Membership without crowns and resurrect. Like everyone else, the other items aren't a draw for me.

Here's what I would pay for though:
LISTEN UP OTTERS

Thanks!
Why play the game when you can just buy a maxed toon? Consider how this would negatively effect the rest of the game. I am astonished at how bad this idea is. You say you left the game because you were bored with a maxed 5 rebirth toon but you would pay good money for another one? This makes no sense.

Damon Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hi Everyone,
We're listening to all of you here.

Here's some background on why we made this change. With the compensation packages, we had to take a closer look at items in the game. We saw that subscriptions were spamming items to every server of every subscriber (so potentially 5x more than intended). It's not a disaster since players usually stick to one server, but it's sloppy game design (on our part), so we thought we should re-balance it. We can later, when we have time, change the system to only target one server, but that's a bit of work.

Personally, we like the concept of a membership providing some goodies every month, but we need to make sure it's balanced. One problem we see with the current membership is that one of the primary benefits of membership is the huge xp gain for members. However, for players at or near level-cap, that's not worth much. So membership has a differing value for a player based on their situation. So, we still need to think about all of this. For now, the cheaper membership with some items removed seemed like a quick solution, and quick is good right now since we need to focus on other projects in the aftermath of the hack (like getting pc crown shop back up- which is finally working), automatic backups (we were having to do this manually since the hack), etc.

Best, Damon

Nadiria

Adventurer
Platform
iOS
Hi Everyone,

Here's some background on why we made this change. With the compensation packages, we had to take a closer look at items in the game. We saw that subscriptions were spamming items to every server of every subscriber (so potentially 5x more than intended). It's not a disaster since players usually stick to one server, but it's sloppy game design (on our part), so we thought we should re-balance it. We can later, when we have time, change the system to only target one server, but that's a bit of work.

Personally, we like the concept of a membership providing some goodies every month, but we need to make sure it's balanced. One problem we see with the current membership is that one of the primary benefits of membership is the huge xp gain for members. However, for players at or near level-cap, that's not worth much. So membership has a differing value for a player based on their situation. So, we still need to think about all of this. For now, the cheaper membership with some items removed seemed like a quick solution, and quick is good right now since we need to focus on other projects in the aftermath of the hack (like getting pc crown shop back up- which is finally working), automatic backups (we were having to do this manually since the hack), etc.

Best, Damon
I realize that you all are still cleaning up from The Dark Times, but I would like to suggest that perhaps having a "base set" of AS perks (free travel, increased xp, etc.), and then members could pick 1 (or more) add-ons for each subscription renewal period, thereby allowing players to change their focus as they work their way through the game, and their RBs. For example:
- Option 1: Sockets & Rezzies only
- Option 2: Health & Mana only
- Option 3: "Villager special" with pots for gathering, crafting & ranching
- Option 4: "Hero special" with pots for combat & loot
This would allow for some customization of each members AS perks, but still limit the ability to turn AS into just a P2W option.

I know - it makes for a LOT more work - so stick this in the "parking lot" of ideas for later. ;)

Caly

BRA Member
Characters
Caly Adaria Chrysis & 2 others
Platform
PC
Hi Everyone,

Best, Damon
Thanks for the time you took to explain things Damon. You are awesome!

Arjuna

Grand Priest
Characters
Arjuna
Platform
Android
The Otters have taken great pains to ensure the game is not P2W
I don't see how it's pay to win, when I've already leveled up one character the good ol' fashioned way.

When the expansion comes out, I'll go through all the new content, and if that's it I'll probably leave again until more new stuff arrives. No more money for otters.

I'm just quite simply not going to level through 5 rebirths of the same content again. However, if a new class arrives, I would pay to start that new toon at level 1 of it's 5th rebirth. Not only that, but I would pay for all the sockets eventually required to max it out. I spent hundreds $$$ maxing out my priest. It will keep me around and funding the game a lot longer than not offering this.

I don't think I'm the only one willing to pay for this.

CalmWind

Legendary Hero
Platform
iOS, PC
This reminds me of that WOW boost when you purchase the expansion they give you a token to boost your character to like 10 levels below Max level. Except this game doesn't charge for expansions.

So to fulfill your request they will charge $49.99 for the new expansion and give you a maxed out toon?

Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Everyone in this thread seems to forget rebirth is an OPTION, not a necessity :) you can level through all content and never have to do it again. The downside will be, you'll have up to 5x5 less talentpoints to spent. That is a choice. You can get the talent points, the price is a rebirth. If you are not willing to pay this price, you dont have to, but you wont have the Points. You dont need them to survive, you only might have to put more effort in better gear. What you are basically asking for is buying talent points in the Item shop, and I dont think that will ever be added.

You could also choose a middle road. The level 30 and 45 rebirths are quite a breeze, you may need one or two days each with some determination. You could do only SOME rebirths. Everything about rebirth is choice.

Characters
BashaDrake, Elmeti, Knytro
Platform
Android
Ekimie, I completely agree that rebirth is optional. However with the new expansion coming, it's looking a lot more important. Right now you can max all you sub class talent tree and have points to spend elsewhere without rebirthing at all. With the expansion, you will need 3 rebirths just to max your class skills tree (if you want to).

Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
It is still a choice. Like you said, "if you want to". People in this thread ask for pay options because they dont want to. Then don't, nobody will make you

Forum Moderator
Characters
IrishElf, Rishi, Irish, Elf
Platform
PC
This thread is about Ardent Society memberships but has taken a turn away from the AS membership and into a suggestion about rebirths.
If you'd like to discuss anything else maybe start another thread please?
Thank you