Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Are you interested in being a playtester for Villagers & Heroes? We are always in need of enthusiastic volunteer players who enjoy poking and prodding the game, helping us find bugs, and providing us with feedback about new features and content.

We maintain a separate test server, dedicated for just that purpose. On our forums, we also have a private section just for testers, where they can read all about current patches and communicate with the developers.

Important Things To Know Ahead of Time:
  • Since the hack, our process for hooking up testers is no longer the same as it was. We will instead be hooking up new testers in bulk, versus individually. This means it could be several weeks after you apply, before you receive emails from us with your tester confirmation and all relevant info about being a tester. In other words, please don’t panic if you do not hear back from us right away.
  • It is not possible to use a Steam account for playtesting. If you are a Steam player, please make a new account (just for testing) using our SAC client, which you can download here.
  • Android Testers will be emailed a separate Google invitation to join the VH Testers Group. After accepting it, you will be provided with the link to download the test client onto your Android device. *Note: it is not possible to have both the test and live versions on your device, so you will need to uninstall/reinstall the live version of the game, and leave/rejoin the VH Google Testers Group each time.
  • iOS Testers will be emailed a separate Testflight invitation, with the steps to download the VH test client.
  • iOS Testers, please be aware that because of the length of time Apple requires in submitting test builds that we often only submit to them after multiple builds, since we push test builds so frequently. This means iOS testers will often not be testing whatever the current test build is, but will be testing in later builds. However, iOS testers still have access to the SAC client, so if you play cross-platform, you can still test all the builds on PC.
  • If you do not already have a forum account with us, you will need to make one in order to have access to the information we provide about test builds, and to be granted access to the private tester section of the forums. If you do not include a valid forum name on your tester application, you will not be made a tester.

Looking forward to having new eyes and ears joining our testing team! :)

If you would like to be a playtester for Villagers & Heroes, please submit this online form:

VH Playtesters Application

*Also, if any of you applied to be testers just before the hack and up till now on the old form, please resubmit on this current form. Thank you!

Reactions: Myutoreisu and Bhee
  • Likex2

Queeny

Citizen
Royal Guardian
Characters
Jenny The Brave ...
Platform
Android, PC
Do you mean we all have to renew our application? Even if we were testers before the hack.

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Do you mean we all have to renew our application? Even if we were testers before the hack.
No, absolutely not. I'm referring to just a tiny handful of people (maybe four or five?), who applied to be testers via the old website which no longer exists. These would be players who never received emails from us confirming them as testers.

If you have access to the private tester section of the forums, it means you are a tester and do not need to resubmit. :)

Caly

BRA Member
Characters
Caly Adaria Chrysis & 2 others
Platform
PC
I just realized when I applied I didn't use my game email. I don't know if that matters?

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
I just realized when I applied I didn't use my game email. I don't know if that matters?
Hi, Caly. No, that doesn't matter at all. We just need an email address to send the information to. :)

Reactions: Caly
  • Likex1

Babus Maximus

Priest
Characters
Gormlach
Platform
iOS
Is it possible to have the test and live version on the same device on iOS?
Apart from that, I applied, should be interesting :)

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hi, to all testers who have applied. I just wanted to give you an update, because I know many of you are probably going nuts wondering why you still haven't heard from us about your status as testers. The reason is because, for technical reason on the test server right now, we cannot add new testers yet. But I can promise you that when the expansion actually goes to test, you all will have been added.

Thank you all for your patience, I know many of you are excited to start testing! Don't worry, you will be testing as soon as possible. :)

Hayes Quinn

Wizard
Characters
Hayes Dk Jaze And Ashe
Platform
PC
I reapplied cause i am not sure i registered properly the first time, I believe i had missed a step so i figured since i was unsure I would reapply to be on the safe side.

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hello Tester Applicants,

Just wanted to give you another update. As of today, you have all been added as testers and contacted with the necessary information. HOWEVER, there were a number of you who applied, that I was not able to add due to one of the following reasons:
  • You applied with a Steam account. (On the app, it clearly states that Steam players need to make SAC accounts in order to test
  • You did not spell your character name correctly, which means I can't find you in the database
  • You did not spell your email address correctly (if it was the same as your game login address)

So, for any of you who fit the above, please reapply on the app with the correction information. Sorry, but I don't have time to individually email you all with what I still need from you. So hopefully, you'll see this post. ;)

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I clicked on the links in the email, and it said ooops I don’t have permission ?
Which may mean you fall into one of the categories listed above (perhaps as a result of something as simple as a typo). I suggest doing as Sarah suggested and reapplying (which will fix the problem if it was a typo or some such, or at least highlight the issue if you should have access but don't).

IoOvOo

Wizard
Characters
loOvOo
Platform
Android, PC
Last edited
Hello Tester Applicants,

Just wanted to give you another update. As of today, you have all been added as testers and contacted with the necessary information. HOWEVER, there were a number of you who applied, that I was not able to add due to one of the following reasons:
  • You applied with a Steam account. (On the app, it clearly states that Steam players need to make SAC accounts in order to test
  • You did not spell your character name correctly, which means I can't find you in the database
  • You did not spell your email address correctly (if it was the same as your game login address)

So, for any of you who fit the above, please reapply on the app with the correction information. Sorry, but I don't have time to individually email you all with what I still need from you. So hopefully, you'll see this post. ;)
Should the ‘primary email’ address be the same as my game login address? I applied with my forum login address because for some reasons my game login one couldn’t get your mails. But it seems I haven’t got the contacting mail. Or my charname is making troubles again?:D

Edit: I have sent a new application with my game login address. However, I’m sure this address can’t get the mails from you :(Please try my contact email if possible.

Edit: got the mail. Thanks!

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Should the ‘primary email’ address be the same as my game login address? I applied with my forum login address because for some reasons my game login one couldn’t get your mails. But it seems I haven’t got the contacting mail. Or my charname is making troubles again?:D

Edit: I have sent a new application with my game login address. However, I’m sure this address can’t get the mails from you :(Please try my contact email if possible.
Thanks for re-applying. You should be all set now. (And I sent the email to both of your email addresses.)

To answer your question, in case others are curious, too: No, it is not necessary to apply with the email you registered your game account with. However, if applicants either cannot remember the name of their character (apparently this seems to be an issue for more of you than I'd imagined) or misspelled the name, then I would try to locate you with the registered game email address.

Reactions: Caly
  • Likex1

IoOvOo

Wizard
Characters
loOvOo
Platform
Android, PC
Thanks for re-applying. You should be all set now. (And I sent the email to both of your email addresses.)

To answer your question, in case others are curious, too: No, it is not necessary to apply with the email you registered your game account with. However, if applicants either cannot remember the name of their character (apparently this seems to be an issue for more of you than I'd imagined) or misspelled the name, then I would try to locate you with the registered game email address.
Thanks! \o/

Baldaryche

Priest
Platform
Android, PC
Hi Sara,
I'm interested in applying to be a tester. However, I'm throwing caution into the wind so to speak. I would like to get a little more clarity about android testing an PC(windows). I follow the guideline of android testing, I would have to uninstall the live version, to install the testing version. What's not clear or I may be misunderstanding is, after installing test version I can or can't have the live version installed? Also too, on the PC version is it the same as android about versions? And lastly, is there a minimum lvl one has to be in order to be a tester?

Sincerely,