SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Last edited
I very much enjoy the V&H combat system. It is fast paced, has a flow and great animations as well as visuals. I do believe some improvements can be made in a few departments however.

Interruptions: The flow of combat is one of the best aspects of V&H's combat system. However, oftentimes it is interrupted due to player movement. Attacks are canceled mid animation, or unable to begin due to a slight positioning error on the player's part. It appears that any angular deviation from the standard face-to-face direction will cause this. I suggest some leniency in this area.

Charged Attacks: I would love to see some greater variety in the types of abilities we have. Charged attacks would be a good additions. Specific abilities per class can be charged (by holding down the ability icon) while charging, the ability grows in power, but the player is vulnerable to interruption by an enemy attack.

Fusions: Fusions are a fantastic concept that wasn't utilized to its potential. In most cases, players do not actively try to create a fusion - it just happens. I would rather that fusions be coordinated attempts, and the payoff worth the effort. There should be a fusion between each of the specs within the game, with dramatic effects. Each spec has a specific ability that has the potential to trigger a fusion. A player from a different spec has to use their specific fusion ability when they notice the enemy is in the fusion state.
RIP Fusions

Combos: Combos are a series of attacks, that when done in the proper order can yield devastating results. I would like to see the introduction of combos within the game. Add a variety of sequence options and let players choose which combos they wish to utilize depending on the situation. Players have a limited time to perform the rest of the combo though after the initial ability is used.
For example: Fire wizard uses scorching burn followed by fireball, followed by combust. This combo will cause an explosion of fire around the combusted enemy, which will inflict fire damage to nearby enemies.
Another example: A holy priest procs holy ardour then uses divine hammer followed by holy bolt. This combo has a 100% chance to trigger consecration for the next 2 attacks.

Spec Meter: Whenever the player performs combos, their spec meter will begin to fill. When the bar is at its limit the player can unleash a massive attack, similar to the scale of a priests' judgement ability.

Status Effects: Status effects such as crushed or dazed shouldn't just be random. They should be the effect of a combo. This puts some thought and meaning behind the effects.

Giruv

Merchant
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
Would love to see more variant in combat, something that more alive and fluid, where the players skills and coordination in fight actually matters, not just gear and level, and I think this is a pretty good start. Would also like to return the ability dodge using roll back, but it should cost some mana or if you use roll but missed the timing you'll take extra damage instead, so someone can't just spam it in fight.

Another improvement in combat that might be easier to implement is damage type and armor type, some monster should have higher physical defense while the other have better magical defense, some monster that have resistance to some elements, and weakness to some element(the only one in game is holy feat have increased damage to undead).

Reactions: Panthera
  • Likex1

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
After seeing the live-stream of the Shaman I was very impressed with the amount of potential strategy available for the class. Players with a deeper understanding will be rewarded for their knowledge by being able to achieve greater results through their build and spell choices. I would very much like to see these types of tactics become available for the existing classes as well.

Currently, gear is the major factor in player performance, and skill is much less relevant than it should be. An example of proper tactics is how a fury warrior manages their shouts. Those who understand the underlying mechanics can create a more effective ability rotation. Unfortunately, these types of possibilities are few and far between, and not nearly to the extent which the shaman is capable of. The shaman exemplifies the potential for this type of deep combat system, where abilities are intertwined and play off of each other. However, it also highlights the lack of said complexity available to our current classes.

I do hope that eventually we get to see these types of combos roll out to the other classes as well.

One other thing of import is the difficulty. Combat has become increasingly easier with each update, and even Diet mentioned at the end of the live-stream that it was easy. The majority of enemies only have one or two attacks, just a melee hit or a projectile, dealing standard damage. Bounty bosses are just regular grunts with more health and damage. Venerable bosses are just bounty bosses with more health and damage. Only elder bosses have unique and interesting mechanics, and even those only start at the later portion of the game.

The problem with difficulty spikes is that it is usually done in an artificial fashion. Scale up enemy health and damage and increase their quantity. This is essential to a degree, but it is definitely not enough and shouldn't be overdone. All it does is increase the length of conflicts, not the challenge. It creates long, tedious and frankly boring encounters. One of the solutions is to implement scaling tech with parties. This will enable groups to enjoy challenging content rather than the current version where 1 or 2 players kill and the others arrive just in time to watch the enemy die. The real resolution to this problem is to focus on enemy AI and mechanics. Give bounties scaled down versions of some of the abilities which elders use. For example a shield that heals when struck, or grunts that spawn to assist them.

I have noticed that content has become less cooperative lately. Damage dealers no longer need tanks. Tanks no longer need priests. We're growing stronger and stronger as the enemies remain at their current level. As this trend continues, we've seen players solo level 85 elders as well as dungeons. It is very concerning when everything can be solo'd and that is not healthy for the game. I know this particular suggestion will likely get some backlash, but I believe it is necessary nonetheless. We truly need a much more restrictive cap on how powerful our players can become. Yes, including elder levels. Rather than stat increments, how about XP or item rewards. Nowadays players can become so powerful they can break game mechanics and steamroll anything. There are no limits or checks in place to prevent this. Tone down how powerful we can become and instead add greater diversity to our build options. Let players focus and specialize in specific paths like healer, tank, dps, support buffer etc. and bring back the need for this type of cooperative synergy.

Simply looking at the data in charts it is apparent that balancing is distorted and needs to be put back into place - hard. Bring back some of the challenge, the thought, the strategy, the skill. We're making uber gear with no purpose other than to earn higher and higher numbers in content that can be completed with regular rare or uncommon gear.

Please, post your experiences and your thoughts.
  • Do you feel content has become too easy?
  • Would you like other classes to have combo type possibilities as was showcased with the Shaman?
  • Do you think we need some more restrictions on how powerful we can become?
  • Do you feel that enemies need a boost in their difficulty / mechanics?

Reactions: Caraldor Loxana Luther
  • Likex1
Characters
Caraldor / Loxana
Platform
iOS, PC
hm, .... I'm starting to think the otters need to hire Skaaveek on to fill the roll of.... well, I think his post describes it well ;) :D

High Inquisitor

Master Villager
Characters
High Inquisitor
Platform
Android
SKAAVVEEK, I like your ideas, but you are such a dreamer. You always suggest that a team of 5 people from two boards build an aircraft carrier .;)(y)

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
SKAAVVEEK, I like your ideas, but you are such a dreamer. You always suggest that a team of 5 people from two boards build an aircraft carrier .;)(y)
The developers are more than capable. They added mounts which for years we considered impossible. They're adding a new class which for years we considered infeasible. It's not about whether or not they can - I have no doubt they have the skill, as can be seen from large expansions such as Starfall - it's a matter of time and priority. I personally think this should be fairly high priority, as players are very quickly and easily capping their characters within a couple of months and moving on.

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
I have noticed that content has become less cooperative lately. Damage dealers no longer need tanks. Tanks no longer need priests. We're growing stronger and stronger as the enemies remain at their current level. As this trend continues, we've seen players solo level 85 elders as well as dungeons. It is very concerning when everything can be solo'd and that is not healthy for the game. I know this particular suggestion will likely get some backlash, but I believe it is necessary nonetheless. We truly need a much more restrictive cap on how powerful our players can become. Yes, including elder levels. Rather than stat increments, how about XP or item rewards. Nowadays players can become so powerful they can break game mechanics and steamroll anything. There are no limits or checks in place to prevent this. Tone down how powerful we can become and instead add greater diversity to our build options. Let players focus and specialize in specific paths like healer, tank, dps, support buffer etc. and bring back the need for this type of cooperative synergy.

Simply looking at the data in charts it is apparent that balancing is distorted and needs to be put back into place - hard. Bring back some of the challenge, the thought, the strategy, the skill. We're making uber gear with no purpose other than to earn higher and higher numbers in content that can be completed with regular rare or uncommon gear.

• Would you like other classes to have combo type possibilities as was showcased with the Shaman?
First things first. I also am quite aware that it won't be popular, but I agree 110% that we need a more restrictive cap on how powerful players can become. For example, I've been playing for 5 years, and I still cannot believe that there is NO cap to the elder level system! That's simply ridiculous. The argument has been made that the benefits from having elder levels are a drop in the bucket in terms of the potential strength of a character, and that the stats quickly reach the saturation point. However, I would argue that even though players have earned those benefits (whether through actually doing combat over the years or by just logging in every day and claiming the monthly calendar combat xp), it creates a significant imbalance between the have's and the have-not's...between the elite capped toons and everyone else (but especially the "newcomers"), just in terms of the potential capabilities of their build. (In other words, if pvp were ever added to the game, the elder soul system would have to be done away with entirely.)

Just in event zones, where level scaling is in place, if you look at the difference in damage and threat output between a lvl 81 dps toon and a lvl 90 one of the same class (where the only major differences are 5 extra talent points and an ungodly number of elder lvls), well....the charts speak for themselves. Players who have been around at least as long as me (and who have been capped for long periods of time, every couple of years) are able to create builds that mere mortals cannot accomplish. And yet elder levels really do not fulfill their purpose; They don't sufficiently encourage enough capped toons to stick with the game, nor do they convince capped players who have stopped playing to return. So, why have them???

Imo they need to be reworked entirely, and I would recommend that if they are kept, that they be tied not to combat level but to activity level on the character and the length of time that said character has been in existence. If they're going to reward the players who have been around the longest, they might as well be even-handed about it, instead of just rewarding the die-hard combat grinders. (Why aren't there any elder levels for gathering and crafting? If you're going to have elder levels for combat, you might as well have some similar system for every other skill, too!) If you're going to reward long-time players for their loyalty, for returning to the game repeatedly while they're capped (and bored) or after a new expansion, you might as well make it a bit more interesting as well as inclusive, instead of feeding into the "elite system", where certain snobbish players with elder levels under their belt look down at everyone else, from way up on their high horse. (Ugh!)

The current system just ain't working, imo.

I don't feel that the combat itself has become too easy, but I feel that it's now far too easy to level up combat.

There's a difference. While I understand that the devs want to make gameplay flow better through the levels, we've now moved past the point where players would hit the Traven zones and quit (about 4 years ago), or after that, hit the Pyrron zones and quit (about 2 years ago.) Now, most players quit in the lvl 76-81-ish range. They fly through the entire game quickly and easily up until the point where they feel that the grind seriously starts to kick in, and then they quit. (I also believe that many of these players are not becoming fully incorporated into the community. When players quit in this level range, they often have become far too focused on one aspect of the game imo, and don't seem to have the same network of friends that players who stick around longer tend to have.)

I don't really want to see every single zone in the game become level-scaled, but so long as we can choose to turn off that level-scaling, this might be a possible solution. What I would suggest is that if you have the level-scaling on, you earn more xp, so that you can fly through the levels at the current "normal" pace. On the other hand, if you choose to turn the level-scaling off, you earn less xp. (This would allow those of us who choose to take a more leisurely pace through the game, and who like less of a challenge in combat to continue to solo as much as we like.) Level-scaling every zone in the game would give many more options of potential zones to run for those lvl 80-90 toons who are always complaining that there aren't enough zones in the game for them to run where they get good xp. And as a level-scaled experience, it would increase the combat difficulty level inherently. (And it would probably also lessen the requests for side content and/or pvp.)

P.S. If you think that combat is too easy, try running Gotrin Passage as a lvl 87, 4X-rebirthed shadow priest. For the first time ever since I adjusted to the changes from Starfall (over a year and a half ago), I had to pay close attention to both my health and mana while running a regular zone! I know how good my build is, how many sockets I've used, and how many rebirths I have under my belt. I can't possibly imagine how challenging it would be for a toon who was weaker. (Note that I didn't die once. Just had to pay a LOT more attention to what I was doing than I'm really used to on this toon, in zones at her level, with no venerables around! Big difference between my experience here & that of some of my friends and guildies who have seriously struggled and been unable to solo in this zone, at level!) I definitely would NOT want combat (in general) on a toon with an 8.0+ Attack Rating and Defense Rating to be any harder than my experience in this zone! LOL But that felt like a reasonable challenge to me, soloing on a powerful, fully-buffed, dps toon with 20 extra talent points under her crafted 5-star belt (with all other gear made by my armor master or weapon master) and nearly maxed-out socket use. :)

Diryk

Warrior
Platform
Android
While I agree with the need for strategy in combat I don't see combos coming for other classes any time soon as that requires a large rework for each class. I'm still new to the game but based on my priest and warrior, I can see issues trying to make combos that make sense. Shadow priest would be the definition of difficult combos since you're talking all dots here. My suggestion would be for people to come up with a list of combos and be as specific as possible for each class. Keep in mind a combo should be powerful but not OP. If we can get together a list like this then it becomes easier to implement since devs listen well in this game.

Just an idea from a mmo vet but vh noob

Sampai

Arch Wizard
Platform
iOS, PC
I've always tried to think of interesting ways to make combat, especially in dungeons, more thoughtful. I never thought there would be so many ways. These all sound great, especially the combos/stun idea. It always felt a little odd that piling on attacks that all trigger simultaneously doesn't have a heavier effect than a burst of damage.