Maxim TaB

Wizard
Platform
Android, PC
HI People..
I would like to ask why exist so big difference in crowns prices between Android and version what you provide on web page !? As example, in Android I can but 5000 crowns by 204.00 eur, but on home page by 179.00 eur? Why such discrimination of Android users?

Imp

Reader
Characters
Impresario
Platform
iOS, PC
If I had to guess, it's probably due to the app store's mark up & cut.

BRA Member
Characters
Instant Karma, Boot II
Platform
Steam
If I had to guess, it's probably due to the app store's mark up & cut.
That would be my guess as well.
Pretty hefty mark-up, too, IMO.

Frostalite

Wizard
Characters
Frostalite and Herocrusher
Platform
Android, PC
Be careful. Something sounds fishy to me. I didn't think anyone resold crowns for a profit of real money.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Be careful. Something sounds fishy to me. I didn't think anyone resold crowns for a profit of real money.
It isnt someone selling it forward, it is simply the difference in crown prices on the otter site and prices on android game install

Queeny

Citizen
Royal Guardian
Characters
Jenny The Brave ...
Platform
Android, PC
Can always log in on your pc, buy the crows there, then play on your android :) - imo 25 euro is a lot :(

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
There is no "discrimination" of Android users by Mad Otter.
As others have already stated, the markup is done by the carrier. It is how they get paid for providing the service. The profit that Mad Otter obtains from these sales is the exact same as they achieve with pc sales. If you feel the markup is too high [and I would agree with you on that point], you would have to take it up with the service provider. I have no idea whether or not that is in line with their markup on other games. If you have access to a pc, it's easy enough to work around.

Reactions: Panthera
  • Likex1
Royal Guardian
Characters
William Hououin
Platform
iOS, PC
You don’t even need a pc ...
You just go to the official website with your phone and select buy crowns options ...

Reactions: CalmWind
  • Likex1

Tiberius

Neonga Nation
Forum Moderator
Last edited
Just to confirm officially what has been said by our users, prices for crowns differ depending on the payment method you use to buy them, because those different payment methods have different costs for us as vendor. The payment provider provides us their infrastructure so that our customers can pay through their system with their payment method and this, of course, costs us a fee for every transaction (plus sometimes a base fee per month).

That's of course ok, since that is their business area, they have costs and they need to make money as well and we profit from their expertise, because we don't need to program a payment gateway ourselves and don't have to support it for nearly every country in the world, don't need to have licenses for all that banking and payment processing stuff, potentially sell more goods since it's easier for customers to pay with Paypal, Amazon, Google, Apple or whatever account they already have etc. pp. Prices for those services differ wildly, depending on the payment provider, from something around 3-4% to up to 30% (yes, that's no typo!) PLUS you also sometimes have to use a payment provider if you want to host a game through their infrastructure (Apple, Google and Steam in our case).

So, if a price is higher for a specific payment method, it is not because we are discriminating those users or want to make more money from those customers, but the transaction fees for those payment method are so high for us, that we unfortunately have to pass at least some of those costs along to you, our customers. And in the case of Google Playstore, the 14% mark up for the package you have given as an example, doesn't even cover the full difference in fees we have to pay for the transaction compared if you buy it with let's say credit card or Paypal through our website.

BUT, and this has already been mentioned, you can get around this (unless you're a Steam user, then you can't, because Valve doesn't allow cross-platform play) by buying crowns on your PC. Once you have bought the cheaper crowns, you can then buy items in the mobile client with your crowns and don't even have to do it on the PC.

Maxim TaB

Wizard
Platform
Android, PC
Thx a lot for all answers and a special thx to Tiberius for explanation. P.S. Now I'm happy to know more details about Steam users, that not started to use it in time. :)