SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Last edited
I suggest that the gathering nodes in the wild & the village be merged into one single type of gathering node.
  • No more distinction between natural and village gathered materials.
    • Saves inventory space for everyone!
    • Keeps materials consistent
  • No more restocking village bins - they are unlimited just as the nodes in the wild are.
    • This will clear an entire village vault tab for villages that stock naturals
  • The rare gathers (scornyx, gralla, etc.) available in the wild should be made available in the village nodes as well.
    • There's no need for a distinction anymore
  • Cornucopias should be removed entirely. Instead, just increase the base mote find chance.
    • What's the point of having a chance to find an item that increases your chance of finding another item? Why not just increase the chance of finding the base item itself?
  • Gathering projects should provide gathering perks for villagers, similar to the crafting stations. These perks would work on nodes in any zone.
    • Increased gather speed
    • Increased supply find chance
    • Increased batch size yield
    • Increased mote chance
    • Increased gathering EXP
  • Gathering projects - in fact, all projects - would no longer ask for 500 gold a day. It's an unrealistic task.

If the village / wild nodes are the same, then why would people ever gather in the village / wild?

Does it really matter? Gathering in the village is for convenience and accessibility. Gathering in the wild is for a change of scenery and perhaps the social aspect of gathering with others. Honestly, does there really need to be a benefit of gathering in one location over another? I personally don't think so.

Kitty the Hunter

Huntress
Platform
PC
This is a very sensible and needed change. So much effort is being put into keeping this arbitrary distinction between village and wild when all it does is add more confusion and complexity to the game, especially for new players.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Needed or not, I do not think this change would go down at all well with those players who have expended very large quantities of time and materials upgrading the village projects to increase the numbers of items that the village nodes hold.

GoGoGadget

BRA Member
Platform
Android, PC
What would be the purpouse of gathering nodes outside of the village after this change?

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
The only advantage to gathering at wild nodes would be that you get more supplies from a higher level node

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Personally I think the only change required is that village gathering needs to be made worthwhile again.

Pre Starfall, the advantage of village gathering was the ability to gather only the mats you wanted. Now that happens anyway in the wild, and since wild nodes are limitless and give the rare gathers, gathering in the wild has all the benefits with only the one (minimal) disadvantage of not getting corns. My suggestions (which I am well aware would probably be highly unpopular) would be to make WILD nodes have a small limit (say 1000 mats) and make village gathering have some real benefit such as e.g. being able to gather without using supplies without any speed penalty, or perhaps have the damage to gathering tools be dramatically lower in the village.

Reactions: Entelligente Ente
  • Likex1

Kookaburra

Bog Frog
Characters
Kookaburra, Kooky
Platform
PC
Needed or not, I do not think this change would go down at all well with those players who have expended very large quantities of time and materials upgrading the village projects to increase the numbers of items that the village nodes hold.
As someone who has contributed to lot of village projects, I wouldn't be upset with the changes at all. SKAAVVEEK has suggested some very nice pluses from village projects, which are more valueable in my view that an increased capacity.

I would be thrilled to eliminate the distinction between village gathered and natural materials - too many classes of similar items in this game are a PITA.

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Sorry, not sure I follow. With this system they would not only have unlimited nodes, but extra perks as well, mentioned in the original post.

Allison Wonderland

Priestess
Royal Guardian
Platform
PC
Gathering projects should provide gathering perks for villagers, similar to the crafting stations. These perks would work on nodes in any zone.
  • Increased gather speed
  • Increased supply find chance
  • Increased batch size yield
  • Increased mote chance
  • Increased gathering EXP

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
All of those advantages can already be gained in game using potions, triads, herbs etc. and all they do is make gathering (and by extension crafting) quicker.

I believe many of those who worked to get stations to give a unique advantage would feel short changed if that advantage were simply given to everyone for free, and in exchange for all their efforts they were simply given the same boosts they can already achieve in other ways.

I also see no real advantage in each of these boosts, given that gathering is already very quick and easy to level. It seems to me these are changes to the village aspect of the game, gathering (and by extension crafting) designed to appeal to non crafters, rather than those who actually enjoy the village aspect of the game.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Perhaps increased stations could unlock perks like chance to abundant harvest a craft (not sure that is achievable atm except for preparations master), more variety in combinations of gear stats or even another rune that becomes available. Top tier station: gives a small chance to find a special gatheritem (only in village) that allows you to pick your stats on 1 piece of craft gear result per specialitem. Perhaps 4 or 5x the hourglass find chance?
Once all stations are max, each house in the village can keep 2 house skin perks active at the same time.

Kitty the Hunter

Huntress
Platform
PC
All of those advantages can already be gained in game using potions, triads, herbs etc. and all they do is make gathering (and by extension crafting) quicker.

I believe many of those who worked to get stations to give a unique advantage would feel short changed if that advantage were simply given to everyone for free, and in exchange for all their efforts they were simply given the same boosts they can already achieve in other ways.

I also see no real advantage in each of these boosts, given that gathering is already very quick and easy to level. It seems to me these are changes to the village aspect of the game, gathering (and by extension crafting) designed to appeal to non crafters, rather than those who actually enjoy the village aspect of the game.
As a player who has worked on a great many villages over the years I would love this change very much, and not feel short changed at all. To the contrary, I feel I am being short changed now because I can simply leave the village to gather from unlimited nodes. After spending countless days and weeks upgrading the village nodes, the only real advantages to gathering in the village are the corns, the social aspects of working together to achieve a common goal, and the convenience. The boosts would be helpful because I would love to forget about taking a herb and a triad, etc. every time I want to gather. In addition, triads need to be at combat level, a ridiculous requirement IMO, and a burden every time I rebirth.

Kookaburra

Bog Frog
Characters
Kookaburra, Kooky
Platform
PC
As a player who has worked on a great many villages over the years I would love this change very much, and not feel short changed at all. To the contrary, I feel I am being short changed now because I can simply leave the village to gather from unlimited nodes. After spending countless days and weeks upgrading the village nodes, the only real advantages to gathering in the village are the corns, the social aspects of working together to achieve a common goal, and the convenience. The boosts would be helpful because I would love to forget about taking a herb and a triad, etc. every time I want to gather. In addition, triads need to be at combat level, a ridiculous requirement IMO, and a burden every time I rebirth.
I am in 100% agreement with you Kitty!

CalmWind

Legendary Hero
Platform
iOS, PC
Then just removed all the wild nodes as well and keep everything relating to crafting in the village...

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Last edited
The same can be said for crafting stations and yet I have never seen anyone complain about them. In fact they are frequently the projects that villages prioritize first even though players can already gain crafting cost reduction and experience through potions, triads etc.

While this proposal would indeed lead to an increased progression speed for gathering, that does not mean that the EXP tables cannot be balanced in response. Not to mention that simply having maxed gathering skills doesn't necessarily mean players will suddenly stop gathering. Gathering is still essential to obtain gear, charter tokens, buffs and fill projects donations - and being able to gather more effectively would be a benefit for everyone, regardless of skill level. As someone who has had maxed gathering skills for a long while, I still find myself gathering almost daily.

While I wouldn't presume to speak for others, as someone who has donated to the gathering projects myself, I would be ecstatic if they were unlimited. No more stocking naturals, no more cluttered inventory with wild / village gathered materials, and an entire village vault tab free. Not to mention I would actually have useful perks while gathering rather than nodes with increased capacity (when there are already unlimited ones a mere teleport away).

Saying that those who worked hard to achieve something would feel short changed when the trials have been reduced or removed is simply untrue when examining the game's history. Medallion requirements to purchase keys are normally lowered whenever there is a cap raise, and I highly doubt higher levels would revert those changes given the chance simply because they had it harder back in the day. Also, it is not as if this change would negate all of the hard work that villagers put into their projects. Quite the contrary, not only would they receive unlimited nodes, but they would also gain gathering perks that stack with their current boosts, just like the crafting station perks, therefore making them more effective at gathering.

The game evolves over time and changes must be made to certain systems in conjunction to that. Wellspring removed many of the reasons behind the distinction of village vs natural, and yet the old system lingers on.

I also see no real advantage in each of these boosts, given that gathering is already very quick and easy to level.
Truly you feel that increased gathering speed, mote chance, supply find etc. are not advantages? Even with maxed gathering they would be of great value to anyone while gathering. Greater perks = greater output.

This is not a suggestion for increasing gathering progression speed, and I am confused as to why it keeps being mentioned. It may be a byproduct of some of the perks, but the goal is to remove an archaic system which serves no purpose (village vs wild) as well as to provide villagers actual perks for raising their gathering projects. Increased node capacity simply has no real purpose when there are unlimited gathering nodes in the wild.

It seems to me these are changes to the village aspect of the game, gathering (and by extension crafting) designed to appeal to non crafters, rather than those who actually enjoy the village aspect of the game.
Yes, absolutely, I am sure that increased villager perks are "designed to appeal to non crafters" ...

Let's flip the switch an consider this alternative.

How about if our crafting stations had to be stocked with refined similar to our gathering bins? Players would be required to craft refined materials in zones outside the village and stock 20 at a time into the crafting stations in order to continue crafting in the Village. As a result, we would no longer be able to craft an unlimited number of times in the village. Instead, we can only craft a limited amount of refined before the crafting stations needed to be restocked again. Players can increase the number of materials they are able to craft in the village by raising their crafting station projects.

The crafting station projects would now no longer give any boosts (no more crafting speed bonus, no more EXP, no more cost reduction). We can get all of that stuff from potions, triads anyway right folks? We don't want to raise our crafting too quickly of course. Instead, players that raise their crafting station projects are able to craft more materials before they need to restock with 'wild' refined materials again. By the way, you can craft an unlimited amount of times in the wild anyways so there is no real advantage to crafting in the village in the first place.

Sounds like an absolutely ridiculous suggestion correct? Well that is almost exactly how the gathering node system is set up. It worked in the past, when the game mechanics supported it. Now it simply doesn't fit into the scope of things. If anyone prefers the current node setup... then by extension the above suggestion may appeal to them as well.

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Perhaps increased stations could unlock perks like chance to abundant harvest a craft (not sure that is achievable atm except for preparations master), more variety in combinations of gear stats or even another rune that becomes available. Top tier station: gives a small chance to find a special gatheritem (only in village) that allows you to pick your stats on 1 piece of craft gear result per specialitem. Perhaps 4 or 5x the hourglass find chance?
Once all stations are max, each house in the village can keep 2 house skin perks active at the same time.
Any sort of perks would be a benefit when comparing them to our current ones. Increased node capacity simply isn't worth the time and effort when unlimited nodes are available in the wild. Some of your suggestions would be a great fit for the crafting stations if the developers decide to expand them past rank 10

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I agree with you that the current system, which removes any advantage to gathering in the village (indeed arguably makes village gathering a disadvantage) needs to be improved. Where we differ is that I want to restore a status for village nodes similar to the previous scenario, where village gathering and gathering in the wild each had their own advantages, whereas your suggestion, it seems to me, is simply to sweep village gathering away entirely.

The reason increasing gathering speed has been mentioned is because it is the first of the suggested perks.

Giruv

Merchant
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
I agree with Majenta, I prefer if both have their own advantage either gathering at wild and gathering instead of just making them the same. Making both village and wild gathering the same gonna remove the potential of having variation in game. Less variation means less decision making and the less decision making will make the game more boring, but if the Otters don't want to spend time to develop a good variation of gathering, may be making gathering simpler is better than having half-assed variation.

Cornucopias should be removed entirely. Instead, just increase the base mote find chance.
  • What's the point of having a chance to find an item that increases your chance of finding another item? Why not just increase the chance of finding the base item itself?
Cornucopias doesn't increase the chance to find motes, it guarantee you to get an extra motes. While free motes from gathering are still account bound i don't want cornucopias to be removed, because it's the only way to trade motes right now

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Where we differ is that I want to restore a status for village nodes similar to the previous scenario, where village gathering and gathering in the wild each had their own advantages, whereas your suggestion, it seems to me, is simply to sweep village gathering away entirely.
Very slight, almost inconsequential advantages. I'm not sure how making village nodes unlimited would sweep village gathering away entirely. If anything I foresee more players would gather in the village due to the convenience and wild nodes would suffer instead. I read your suggestions in a previous post, and agree with you that they would indeed be highly unpopular. I do not think limiting wild nodes is the proper solution.

I agree with Majenta, I prefer if both have their own advantage either gathering at wild and gathering instead of just making them the same. Making both village and wild gathering the same gonna remove the potential of having variation in game. Less variation means less decision making and the less decision making will make the game more boring, but if the Otters don't want to spend time to develop a good variation of gathering, may be making gathering simpler is better than having half-assed variation.
I'm not certain if the current benefits between wild vs village gathered truly qualify as impactful decision making. It's mainly a matter of rare gathers vs cornucopias.

If legitimate distinctions must be made, it cannot be based upon perks, because that would require proper balancing to ensure that one isn't inherently superior to the other. Differences would need to be foundational.

Currently, wild nodes are akin to village nodes, in that they are both monster free. Players can gather safely all the way up to the level 74 nodes, and beyond that players must raise their combat level and gather in enemy controlled territory. Even those nodes are relatively safe to gather at.

If players can gather an unlimited quantity of items from the village, then the wild nodes would need to have some attraction as well. Sure, I can get behind that argument. This would entail a redesign of the wild node system, such that it is not built to mimic the village nodes. No more 'safe zones' for gathering in the wild. There wouldn't be a need for them, if the village nodes are unlimited.

Instead, wild nodes would indeed be in the wild. I imagine these are the risk / reward type nodes. The question is, what would they gain for their efforts?

Let's assume all wild nodes are now in monster controlled territory. Players that gather at wild nodes would have to fend off frequent spawns of scaled enemies in order to continue gathering there. Perhaps, once players have gathered at a particular wild node for a sufficient amount of time, it begins to glisten. This means that players have a small chance to gather glistening materials from said node for a short duration. Enemies would of course continue to spawn, creating a challenging scenario. Once the node stops glistening, then the glistening materials will also cease to drop.

These glistening materials can be used in crafting recipes to create gear / boosts with special properties. This makes them worthwhile to obtain, and rewards players who risk gathering in the wild.

Village nodes are for ease of use, accessibility, and safety.
Wild nodes are for a chance to gain useful rewards, coupled with risks.

Cornucopias doesn't increase the chance to find motes, it guarantee you to get an extra motes. While free motes from gathering are still account bound i don't want cornucopias to be removed, because it's the only way to trade motes right now
Cornucopias increase the chance to find motes by 100%. It essentially boils down to the same thing. I understand they are currently the only way to trade motes, however, apart from that single quality they do not have a purpose that couldn't be duplicated by simply increasing the base mote find chance. Perhaps motes purchased from charter tokens or COG coins (if added into the COG vendor) could be tradable.