IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
All ideas are always great to post because we never know what will spark the dev's creative juices and help them create their own versions of what we suggest!

I love reading everyone's ideas... keep 'em coming!

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Very slight, almost inconsequential advantages. I'm not sure how making village nodes unlimited would sweep village gathering away entirely. If anything I foresee more players would gather in the village due to the convenience and wild nodes would suffer instead. I read your suggestions in a previous post, and agree with you that they would indeed be highly unpopular. I do not think limiting wild nodes is the proper solution.

I'm not certain if the current benefits between wild vs village gathered truly qualify as impactful decision making. It's mainly a matter of rare gathers vs cornucopias.

If legitimate distinctions must be made, it cannot be based upon perks, because that would require proper balancing to ensure that one isn't inherently superior to the other. Differences would need to be foundational.

Currently, wild nodes are akin to village nodes, in that they are both monster free. Players can gather safely all the way up to the level 74 nodes, and beyond that players must raise their combat level and gather in enemy controlled territory. Even those nodes are relatively safe to gather at.

If players can gather an unlimited quantity of items from the village, then the wild nodes would need to have some attraction as well. Sure, I can get behind that argument. This would entail a redesign of the wild node system, such that it is not built to mimic the village nodes. No more 'safe zones' for gathering in the wild. There wouldn't be a need for them, if the village nodes are unlimited.

Instead, wild nodes would indeed be in the wild. I imagine these are the risk / reward type nodes. The question is, what would they gain for their efforts?

Let's assume all wild nodes are now in monster controlled territory. Players that gather at wild nodes would have to fend off frequent spawns of scaled enemies in order to continue gathering there. Perhaps, once players have gathered at a particular wild node for a sufficient amount of time, it begins to glisten. This means that players have a small chance to gather glistening materials from said node for a short duration. Enemies would of course continue to spawn, creating a challenging scenario. Once the node stops glistening, then the glistening materials will also cease to drop.

These glistening materials can be used in crafting recipes to create gear / boosts with special properties. This makes them worthwhile to obtain, and rewards players who risk gathering in the wild.

Village nodes are for ease of use, accessibility, and safety.
Wild nodes are for a chance to gain useful rewards, coupled with risks.

Cornucopias increase the chance to find motes by 100%. It essentially boils down to the same thing. I understand they are currently the only way to trade motes, however, apart from that single quality they do not have a purpose that couldn't be duplicated by simply increasing the base mote find chance. Perhaps motes purchased from charter tokens or COG coins (if added into the COG vendor) could be tradable.
All emphasis added by me.

So essentially, what you are suggesting is that instead of having two categories of items of equal value simply obtained in different locations, we should have two categories of items of different value, with the greater value items only available to combat oriented players?

And while we are at it, we will remove the safe gathering zones, something village oriented players asked for repeatedly for years?

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Last edited
All emphasis added by me.

So essentially, what you are suggesting is that instead of having two categories of items of equal value simply obtained in different locations, we should have two categories of items of different value, with the greater value items only available to combat oriented players?
What is the point of having 2 categories of equal value obtained in different locations, if the only difference is... the location? Is the chance of getting a rare gather vs a cornucopia really worth a distinction between village vs natural materials? I think not. Also, in order to obtain glistening materials, players would need to have gathering levels of equal or greater value to the node's level. This means that players who simply do combat without taking the time to raise their gathering skills would not be able to gather at those nodes.

And while we are at it, we will remove the safe gathering zones, something village oriented players asked for repeatedly for years?
I'm afraid you may have missed something significant. The village's would have unlimited nodes. The villages do not have monsters. The villages are thereby safe gathering zones. Why do we even have nodes in combat areas? Why would players gather in combat areas if they are perfectly capable of gathering in Stone Gardens or Thriving isles or their own village without any enemies present? Hence, the nodes in combat areas, being the less convenient nodes, require some attraction to make them worthwhile. Be it glistening materials or another reward for players who choose to gather in more challenging areas.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
What is the point of having 2 categories of equal value obtained in different locations, if the only difference is... the location? Is the chance of getting a rare gather vs a cornucopia really worth a distinction between village vs natural materials? I think not. Also, in order to obtain glistening materials, players would need to have gathering levels of equal or greater value to the node's level. This means that players who simply do combat without taking the time to raise their gathering skills would not be able to gather at those nodes.

I'm afraid you may have missed something significant. The village's would have unlimited nodes. The villages do not have monsters. The villages are thereby safe gathering zones. Why do we even have nodes in combat areas? Why would players gather in combat areas if they are perfectly capable of gathering in Stone Gardens or Thriving isles or their own village without any enemies present? Hence, the nodes in combat areas, being the less convenient nodes, require some attraction to make them worthwhile. Be it glistening materials or another reward for players who choose to gather in more challenging areas.
God, you really do think I'm stupid, don't you?

dustbunny

Squirrel
Platform
iOS, PC

If the village / wild nodes are the same, then why would people ever gather in the village / wild?

Does it really matter? Gathering in the village is for convenience and accessibility. Gathering in the wild is for a change of scenery and perhaps the social aspect of gathering with others. Honestly, does there really need to be a benefit of gathering in one location over another? I personally don't think so.
I am a bit confused by this statement, "does there really NEED to be a benefit of gathering in one location over another" You are suggesting that projects give increased speed, supply find, batch size, mote chance increase and increased xp? If that would to happen, then their would be a great benefit of gathering in one location over the other. Why would we even need the wild then, other than the fact people might get a bit miffed if they are forced to gather in the wild because someone hogs the village node all day. And since we only have one type of node per mat in the villages, that is something I can see happening with frequency. I myself don't gather in the village anymore. If i'm buffed to gather, I sure don't want to wait around for a node to become free, and I hate restocking the nodes (something you do address with your suggestions) so I just use the wild nodes. I might be in favor of not having wild vs village mats, sure would make things easier. But, how much easier do we want to keep making things. Also, I don't go gather in the wild for the social aspect... rocks and trees just don't make good conversationalists :) So, I guess my question is, how would you address the issue of only one node per level in villages. I really would not like to see more nodes added, it was way crowded the ways the nodes was before.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Skaaveek your tone of post is rather infuriating. I'd throw rotten eggs at your house if you talked to me like that. Just saying..

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
I am a bit confused by this statement, "does there really NEED to be a benefit of gathering in one location over another" You are suggesting that projects give increased speed, supply find, batch size, mote chance increase and increased xp? If that would to happen, then their would be a great benefit of gathering in one location over the other. Why would we even need the wild then, other than the fact people might get a bit miffed if they are forced to gather in the wild because someone hogs the village node all day.
The bonuses would transfer to the wild nodes as well, similar to the crafting station perks

So, I guess my question is, how would you address the issue of only one node per level in villages. I really would not like to see more nodes added, it was way crowded the ways the nodes was before.
This is a good point and the first thing that comes to mind would be to allow multiple players to gather at a single node like we can at the craft stations. Since stocking is no longer a factor, it shouldn't cause any issues.

dustbunny

Squirrel
Platform
iOS, PC
Ahh, thank you for the answer. I can see where two could gather at the same node being a big plus, I wonder if that would effect the drop rate of items though.

And, the bonus also effecting the wild nodes would be great. Might get a few more people interested in adding materials into the projects again. At the moment I do not add to projects because I am capped or close to capped on 4 toons and I feel it is a waste of xp to do so.

Reactions: SKAAVVEEK
  • Likex1
Characters
Tiffa, CyberElf
Platform
Android, PC
The main advantage to wild gathering zones is that they are from all levels 1 to 90, not just at every 10 levels.
Players can start gathering the next stage level (pine, oak, ash, birch,etc...) earlier instead of waiting to reach the even 10 level gathering skill rank to gather within the village nodes.

Kitty the Hunter

Huntress
Platform
PC
The main advantage to wild gathering zones is that they are from all levels 1 to 90, not just at every 10 levels.
Players can start gathering the next stage level (pine, oak, ash, birch,etc...) earlier instead of waiting to reach the even 10 level gathering skill rank to gather within the village nodes.
Within each tier of gathering stage there is a benefit of a chance of gathering one extra item from the higher level nodes just before that stage of gather changes, so it is more beneficial to gather from the level 14, 29, etc nodes. within the village the nodes automatically scale to level, but in the wild we much move to have this benefit.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by gathering at the next higher node. It seems you mean to say gathering before you reach level?