Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Stormborne
Platform
Android, PC
Last edited
Instead of removing these ground AoEs or dumbing down their numbers I think there could be another solution to them. Patterns. Why?

1) Does not require calculation, it will always be a fixed number.
2) Can be very few AoEs, if they are large enough
3) Can be different shaped not just circle (line, square, triangle etc)
4) Offers extra challenge, can be different for each boss
5) Learning patterns, and "dancing" with AoEs is fun

Some examples (boss in the middle):
1) Anti melee (close to the boss 0-10m)
Forces melee to stand back for a bit

2) Mid range (10-30m around boss)

Either stay close to the boss or far away

3) Long range (30-40m, 40m being the max ranged feat distance)

Forces far away players to either back down or go inside.

4) Triangles/Rectangulars (0-40m on a side)

These are more advanced, as everyone needs to pay attention. Can be like a full side or half side of the boss getting a big AoE (like in front, behind, right side, left side)

5) Lines (0-40m)

Certain sides of the boss will get AoE. Can change all the time which side(s), to promote "dancing".

So each boss could have a different set of AoE patterns (like Okyris could be easy with the Melee/Mid/Long range AoE pattern), but Meghrin more difficult with Multiple line combinations. There could be a lot more options for this, these are just a few raw ideas. How do you feel about this?

Reactions: Lord Odenhawk 72
  • Likex1

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
perhaps if they are set patterns, they could move along with the boss, because otherwise once the patterns are known, people just pick a spot where no effect comes. If they move along with the movements of the boss, they have to keep paying attention and cant stay in 1 spot. doenst have to be calculated either, does it? just have to stick ....m from the boss

Reactions: Dawnfire and IrishElf
  • Likex2

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Stormborne
Platform
Android, PC
You mean it moves with the boss after its cast? For anti melee that wouldnt work, they'd end up being in the AoE again if it moved with the boss. Bosses could/should channel these skills (like some of them do now), and if you are in the danger zone you move out. At some point if you learnt the patterns you should be able to avoid them (just like how it is now, even if it's kinda messy). But one boss could have mutiple patterns to spice things up (like Left side-right side- right side-left side, next time front-right-left-back, another time back-left-right-front, and it would alternate between these 3 for each spawn, so just seeing where the 1st AoE lands, you could tell which patterns it will be using during this fight)

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
You mean it moves with the boss after its cast? For anti melee that wouldnt work, they'd end up being in the AoE again if it moved with the boss. Bosses could/should channel these skills (like some of them do now), and if you are in the danger zone you move out. At some point if you learnt the patterns you should be able to avoid them (just like how it is now, even if it's kinda messy). But one boss could have mutiple patterns to spice things up (like Left side-right side- right side-left side, next time front-right-left-back, another time back-left-right-front, and it would alternate between these 3 for each spawn, so just seeing where the 1st AoE lands, you could tell which patterns it will be using during this fight)
Well yes that's the point right?

Characters
Tiffa, CyberElf
Platform
Android, PC
I think each boss should have a set number of set AOE attacks that are randomized, that way there is no set pattern between attacks for players to learn, and player will still have to keep an eye out for the attacks then dance around

Reactions: Dawnfire
  • Likex1

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
I'm thinking about the changing lights on Grinchta's "dance floor." (There are 4 quadrants. Each section has a different color of lights, indicating a different buff or debuff. Every few minutes, the colors change randomly, so you can't predict where you will want to move to next or exactly when the color of the lights will change.) It makes for a fun challenge, except for when there's lag involved. Because when it's laggy, there 's a delay in seeing the colors beneath your feet, which makes it much harder to respond and to act accordingly. At big event zone boss kills, lag can be very deadly (especially to newer players, who are already pretty squishy!)

I think the ground effects can be fun, BUT any kind of ground aoe won't be much fun if the fight is laggy! My suggestion is to fix the lag first and then think about how to make the fights fun, yet challenging. (And on the subject of lag: Here's a wild idea. What would happen if a new instance opened up after 25-30 players were present, instead of 50? My guess is that limited server resources prevent this, but if limiting the size of the crowd to a smaller, more manageable size makes the event zones more enjoyable for all, then maybe it might be something to consider?? It really seems to me that once you get over 25 people at a boss fight, the game becomes increasingly laggy.)

• Likex1

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Stormborne
Platform
Android, PC
Well yes that's the point right?
Making an AoE unavoidable is not what I'd like to see. Learning how to avoid it is (there are still normal no ground based AoE attacks, which will hit people regardless). Ground based ones should be a matter of learning, smart positioning.

BUT any kind of ground aoe won't be much fun if the fight is laggy
Yes agreed. And I believe part of this suggestion could potentially fix that, since the server does not need to calculate AoE under everyone's feet, it has a set pattern and a fixed number of ground AoEs it will place. Though I'm not tech savvy so can't really tell, if it really would help that much to make this lagg free or not.

I think each boss should have a set number of set AOE attacks that are randomized, that way there is no set pattern between attacks for players to learn, and player will still have to keep an eye out for the attacks then dance around
I see your point :) Basically two schools of thought. Either there's a longer tell animation to know where to avoid and what, or there's a shorter tell animation and then you know what and where will happen in the next few attacks. I like your way too, maybe even more so than mine

Neia

Warrior
Characters
Neia
Platform
PC
Let's speak food! Here are 2 classics types of AOEs:
The Pizza:
A round AOE with a 90° (or 60°) safe zone.

The Donut:
A circle followed by a ring. This one requires everyone to move. Can be the inverse, a big ring followed by a smaller circle.

• Lovex1