Jamay

Squirrel
Characters
Jamayra, Jamaya & Mayjam
Platform
iOS, PC
Last edited
I am not sure how these higher level players know you need help without you asking or it, (or someone in your group). so how are they too fast to help? After reading over your original post I am still left with the impression that you want something to change about how help is offered, or who is able to help. Honestly, it is not very clear what your actual intentions are but since most of your post and even the title of this thread is about higher level players helping you and how this can be a distraction from your optimal game experience (my words not yours because I have to paraphrase). It seems that you want changes to how players can or will help each other in order for you to better enjoy the game personally.
I said that the culture of helping is a bit too much sometimes as new players get used to it so they think it is the normal way to ask for help from a higher player. Which should not be. Many times as soon as a new player asks for help, no time is left for someone his lvl to answer... he or she gets help right away. It’s ok to wait too to find a proper team. It is then hard for people wanting to play the game for real to find a real team as most players my lvl don’t want to be bothered to fight as they don’t really know how to fight as never got used to it, they never learned it & think it is impossible with people our lvl which is in a way killing the game. I am pretty sure the game was not intended to be played that way. So no it is not about wanting to play MY WAY. It is about playing together & have fun:). Help
is nice & should not be erased. Was a reflexion, a critic maybe too. Is it ok to give constructive critic? Or is it forbidden?:) Really liked to see what people think about it. Tbh, I don’t understand the defensive tone here.

Characters
Gentrice, Blue Mouse & 3 more
Platform
PC
I am a low level player, none of my toons have advanced beyond level 38. I have refrained from asking for help, mostly because I do enjoy the game and I want to experience everything it offers. When I have been helped on elder runs by higher level toons, I do feel like a useless sack of potatoes being carted along by my superiors, especially those who can one-shot the elders. I am not interested in rapidly advancing through the game, I am enjoying my plodding along, but I do need assistance with the elder bosses, just not at high speed. (Sorry for the gentle rant.)

I have also been on the other side of the coin, offering assistance to new players on level 20 elder runs. Either I am extremely bad at communicating through chat or I don't know party protocol, but I have felt used on those runs also, with the other players taking all loot and not reciprocating and not waiting for respawns.

So I prefer to solo alot, but I do miss out on the social and group achievement aspect of this game. I very much understood where Jamay is coming from. Thank you to everyone who posted suggestions. I now know how to ask for the help I need. I look forward to running with a level 30 group or an advanced player using a level one weapon soon!

Characters
Instant Karma, Boot II
Platform
Steam
Last edited
I am a strong proponent of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
And I stated earlier:
IMO, its not a matter of the community or game mechanics, its a matter of communications.
Just be clear in your announcement what sort of help you are seeking.
Nothing I've read in this thread has changed my opinion.
I think the defensive tone is because of the suggestion to change the game play.
I also feel that advocating changing the game mechanics to fit a individual's vision of play-style goes beyond constructive criticism.
(just my opinion of course)

As for learning to play as a team, IMO elders are a poor way of learning.
The Event Zones are much better for learning to work as a group.
Also, organizing a party to run bounties through a few zones. Maybe schedule a regular event to run bounties, perhaps have your guild help.
If you get a large turnout, split them up by levels. Hope these ideas help.

Regards

Characters
Chiarale
Platform
iOS, PC
@Jamay I think I understand. In principle, I enjoy teaming up. But in practice, it seems that the two options generally available to me (a perpetually leveling player) are: have a high level player one-hit it for me, or level till I can kill it by myself. Given those two, I choose the latter.

On occasions when I am on the opposite side as a helper, I’ve tried to hold back to give more of a challenge. Once, for example, I was letting the low level take aggro every once in awhile. And then they asked me “Why aren’t you doing anything?”...

If the situation requires repeated kills, I may hold back on the first, and then speed up for the subsequent kills.

As a whole, I’m quite happy with the game. I could imagine some things being better. Though I’m not sure how we might get there. I do like what some people suggested - a level scaling buff that could be turned off like in the old Black Fury Gorge (and in the event zones?). I think a bit of the current situation is the result of a population distribution that is quite common to mmos.

:empathizing hug:

Platform
PC
When I first started playing, the biggest toons were only a few levels above me, so help with the elders was just that - help. It took time to kill them, and sometimes, the elders won. There were lots of people near my level to run zones with and it was dangerous. We died some, lived some, laughed a lot and had a good time learning how to fight and maneuver and not get lost. This was fun.

When rebirth came along, I knew how to do the lower zones and wanted to speed through them to get back up to the new content. Sometimes I had higher levels friends that would run me through a number of low zones quickly. This worked for me too. But when it came to the new zones, I didn't want to be that "sack of potatoes" that someone mentioned before, so I only ran with people close to me. I soloed or sought out other toons my level, sometimes just waiting in the zone till others my level came by and asked I we could do it together. I met a lot of nice people that way and I think both of us had fun.

When it came time to kill the elders of that level, it was very unsatisfying to ask a lvl 90 friend to come "help" with the level 30 elders. Not much "helping" going on here. I was lucky to get in 2 licks before it died. Not what I was looking for, so I looked around and tried to ask for help more in the range of the elders I was fighting. Sometimes (like for the lvlv 30's) a lvl 25 toon wanted to "help". Well to be honest, he was no help.. just died a lot and made the whole experience a downer, so I tried to be picky about what sort of help I would take. When a BIG toon offered to help, I would ask if they have a smaller toon, closer to level. If they did, they were usually happy to bring it in, if not, they were kind when I declined their help.
Once I got up to the lvl 75 and 85 elders - yeah, the lvl 85 to 90 toons only help there.. they don't dominate. But they are enough better that it is a lot safer then a group of on level toons. But here too, you see that the help is from toons that are much closer to proper level.

So, OP, I understand what you are say. It seems to me it is a matter of communication and how you want to play the game. Maybe we all need to be a little better about asking for help (include range requirements in request), and for offering help. If someone asks help for lvl 30 elders and all I have are lvl 70 + toons, I won't offer to help for several minutes until it looks like there is no one else available. Then I whisper to them if they want a BIG toon to do it for them (it aint helping at this point) or if they want to wait for a more level appropriate helper. Their responds depends on their stage of the game, but at least I have given them the opportunity to choose what they want/need.

Jamay

Squirrel
Characters
Jamayra, Jamaya & Mayjam
Platform
iOS, PC
I am a strong proponent of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
And I stated earlier:

Nothing I've read in this thread has changed my opinion.
I think the defensive tone is because of the suggestion to change the game play.
I also feel that advocating changing the game mechanics to fit a individual's vision of play-style goes beyond constructive criticism.
(just my opinion of course)

As for learning to play as a team, IMO elders are a poor way of learning.
The Event Zones are much better for learning to work as a group.
Also, organizing a party to run bounties through a few zones. Maybe schedule a regular event to run bounties, perhaps have your guild help.
If you get a large turnout, split them up by levels. Hope these ideas help.

Regards
Maybe I was clumsy in the way I expressed myself as English is my 4th language. Sorry about that if so. If I play this game that much (in a month and a week = 3 chars & 1 with 2 rebirths not to mention the spending), it is because I like it. So goal was not to trash the game at all. By experience, any good dev would like to get feedback about the game, and on that matter all opinions count. I was afraid though to hurt the community as it is one of the best I « met ». I am pretty pleased with all the answers I got, and the idea of the buff is the best one imo and many seem to like it too. If they can make that happen, I do think it will be positive for everybody allowing even more communications between all lvls. If too complicated for them to do so, so be it. But it is imo something not penalizing anyone really & it could be nice for most of us:). It costs nothing to talk about it, to agree or disagree.

Characters
Instant Karma, Boot II
Platform
Steam
Maybe I was clumsy in the way I expressed myself as English is my 4th language. Sorry about that if so. If I play this game that much (in a month and a week = 3 chars & 1 with 2 rebirths not to mention the spending), it is because I like it. So goal was not to trash the game at all. By experience, any good dev would like to get feedback about the game, and on that matter all opinions count. I was afraid though to hurt the community as it is one of the best I « met ». I am pretty pleased with all the answers I got, and the idea of the buff is the best one imo and many seem to like it too. If they can make that happen, I do think it will be positive for everybody allowing even more communications between all lvls. If too complicated for them to do so, so be it. But it is imo something not penalizing anyone really & it could be nice for most of us:). It costs nothing to talk about it, to agree or disagree.
No worries, English is my native language and I am sometimes clumsy posting things too.
Your opinion counts just as much as mine or anyone else.
In this particular case, our opinions vary.

Best regards