Adricade

Great Adventurer
Characters
Ralthobel, Ralther
Platform
Android, PC
Hello everyone,

Still new to the game (just hit level 10 yesterday) and I haven't yet finished The Malicious Miscreant story yet. I really enjoy the the Lore, I enjoy how the quests are written, the lines, I read every bit like the quest item book you get the story of Tarquin character, it really is amazing. I feel like I am IN the world, which I do not get playing other MMOs. I finally found my fantasy world I would love to live in!

With that said I am playing my first character who is a Priest. I am planning on doing group content later in the game and help out my teammates as much as I can, therefore I am aiming to be a Holy Priest. I was looking around the forums and found the talent builder, and so far I want to create this build HERE.
Is that a good build in general? I figured I won't need Shadow and flat Mana, and Mana Regen I can acquire through food and potions.

I play alone all the time right now because none of my friends have the same taste like me to even pick up the game. I however plan to play it for the long term. For that matter I want to be able to solo content as well and how much of it I can do at a later stage? Or are there any guilds that need a newbie Holy Priest in the making? I will be doing crafting as well as I enjoy the system.

Are there any tips that you guys can share?

Giruv

Merchant
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
holy priest is a good class to practically solo anything, because when maxed out as long as you have mana and not stunned i don't think holy priest can die, the one thing that can give them trouble is the high regeneration mob, beside that should be ok to solo. you can also mix in some shadow priest talent to solve that problem by sacrificing your tankiness a bit

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Welcome to the game.

My usual tips to new players are to follow the quests in Summer's and be sure to actually read the dialogue, but you seem to have that well covered already.

In my personal opinion, priest is probably the most "socket heavy" class. You get a large number of sockets from the new character calendar, I strongly advise you to hoard these carefully at low level. Early on you will level through gear so quickly it is a shame to lose those sockets on gear you won't use for long. You will hear people say things like keep sockets for level 50 (or 60, or 75 etc). I don't quite agree with that. My attitude is save them until you feel you need them, and get decent value from them, i.e. the stage where you find you are not levelling up so fast they are largely wasted. Any gear you have socketed, keep for rebirth.

Another general piece of advice is to make sure you keep crafting and gathering up to your combat level, or even beyond. Again, you will hear people say it should be 5 levels above or whatever, and again I would say there is no set margin it has to be, just try to keep it where you can make gear around your own level. Whilst levelling up, there is absolutely no need to rank recipes up to 5 star to get super duper rare gear. Just like with the sockets, you outlevel the gear so fast it is a waste of time making 30 + items for all your gear. Make half a dozen or so to get uncommon and a choice of runes, and leave it at that. Just like the sockets, only take the time to make 5 star gear once you are at the level where you will be using it long enough to justify the work.

Final and most important piece of advice - HAVE FUN!

P.S. - Shameless plug. Noble Spirits is a good choice of guild. (One of many.)

SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Platform
Android, PC
That build should do fine.

There's not much choice in building right now if going single-specialization.

Remember: gear is just as (if not more) important than talents in this game, so if you're having trouble with a zone, try crafting up some nice gear at your level.

Adricade

Great Adventurer
Characters
Ralthobel, Ralther
Platform
Android, PC
And what about starting zone pick?

Does that matter for min/maxing because from checking the passives each zone gives in the wiki by far the best is Greenhaven giving you a whopping 6% magic damage reduction or Thorncrest giving you critical strike chance for all spells and attacks!

The rest of the zones give you some experience gain, or crafting costs reduction etc. which is not something that can help out much in a fight at end game.

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
In my personal opinion, priest is probably the most "socket heavy" class. You get a large number of sockets from the new character calendar, I strongly advise you to hoard these carefully at low level. Early on you will level through gear so quickly it is a shame to lose those sockets on gear you won't use for long. You will hear people say things like keep sockets for level 50 (or 60, or 75 etc). I don't quite agree with that. My attitude is save them until you feel you need them, and get decent value from them, i.e. the stage where you find you are not levelling up so fast they are largely wasted. Any gear you have socketed, keep for rebirth.
I particularly agree with this advice. When I begin using sockets on gear, I'll generally limit myself to just one (maybe 2, if I get something really good) per set of gear. The first piece of gear I'll usually spend a socket on is the weapon (often at around lvl 26 or 31...the crafted weapons' level always ends in a 1 and 6) That's where you can really feel the socket giving you a tangible effect. Having just ONE additional feat makes it faster to kill everything, which makes the game feel more enjoyable and makes combat feel faster and more "zippy." I would likely gnog together a combo of elder gear and drop loot gear, mostly, along with some reinforcement runes from crafted gear. (Those reinforcement runes make it much easier to balance your stats in a way that works for you!)

However, as an established player, I already have the necessary resources to be able to master crafted recipes, which makes my situation different. If I were just starting out, I probably wouldn't spent a socket on weapons unless I had 5 star mastery in that recipe. I might work towards gaining a little bit of additional mastery in various recipes while leveling back up after rebirthing, but I probably wouldn't insist on using nothing but 5 star crafted gear until around lvl 55 (maybe as high as about 72.) What I might do instead is just focus on making a really good weapon, and then use a socket on that. (I've done something similar to the reverse at higher levels. My warrior was having trouble finding the exact drop-loot-only weapon rune she was looking for. I didn't want to gnog together a new weapon until I found it, so she continued using her outdated weapon for about 8 levels past the point where I was intending to replace it! Since all the rest of her gear was really good, only having an outdated weapon was tolerable.)

Once I spend a socket to get a rune, I will purposely never change or replace that rune! That's another way of wasting sockets, because if you change one rune for a different one or replace a rune with a stronger version of the same rune, you will need to spend an additional socket. You're not spending the socket to unlock a slot, what you're gaining with it is that specific rune. Keep in mind that you can always keep the same runes on a piece of gear and just swap out the base stats, free of charge. (Note that this may change the rarity of the item, if the two items gnogged together are different levels. However, so long as the item with the higher rarity is the higher leveled item, the rarity will not change!)

Reactions: Adricade
  • Likex1

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Platform
PC
And what about starting zone pick?

Does that matter for min/maxing because from checking the passives each zone gives in the wiki by far the best is Greenhaven giving you a whopping 6% magic damage reduction or Thorncrest giving you critical strike chance for all spells and attacks!

The rest of the zones give you some experience gain, or crafting costs reduction etc. which is not something that can help out much in a fight at end game.
My armor master (shadow priest) definitely has the origin perk that reduces crafting costs, which is quite logical cause she crafts a lot and masters and crafts gear for all of my 4 toons, and costs definitely add up quickly over a lifetime of crafting, particularly when you're fussy and have expensive tastes. :p And at lvl 87, while fighting the lvl 85 elders (which is currently one of the toughest fights in game), the only thing my priest sometimes wishes she had more of is MANA! LOL Same is true when I have her running event zones. Mana is her one downfall, and I have to be careful about it. That being said, I'm quite happy with her origin perk. I simply use other means to solve my occasional mana issue, like trinkets and potions. There are more options to fix the mana issues than to reduce crafting costs, imo.

My hunter (who once upon a time felt squishier) has Greenhaven, primarily because I love the beautiful loading screen. (That lush greenery and waterfall is my fave! And I'm very happy to look at it every time I select my hunter from the character selection screen.) However, although I originally chose the perk for the pretty picture, having the reduced magic damage perk makes it easier to make her tanky. (And she makes a very good tank!) :D

If I remember correctly, both my lightning warrior and wizzie have the origin perk that reduces mana costs. Again, I originally chose it for the pretty background (I think?? I definitely created my wizzie before those origin perks were added to the game. Think the same is true of my warrior, but it's been so long that I can't remember!) At any rate, whatever my rationale originally was for choosing that perk for both of them, I've been really happy with it!

I believe that the mana perk may be one of the more popular origin perks among established players, but the good news is that origin perks really have a minimal effect, even at end game. It's such a matter of personal preference. There really is no right or wrong one to choose. There's simply the one(s) that you personally like the best for your preferred playstyle. :)

Adricade

Great Adventurer
Characters
Ralthobel, Ralther
Platform
Android, PC
Last edited
That's what bugs me... because if I chose the one giving experience at end game I will just be left out with no passive this way... Although I am just level 10 so re-creating my character is not that big a deal... though I prefer not to go around doing all the quests again so soon when I haven't even reached my first rebirth...

EDIT: I considered what you told me about the Mana issue and kinda switched my build to THIS. I think it will be better long term for group content and solo PVE in general. Just swapped Open Sea Air to Well Read ultimate, after all I am not going to block something that much in a group content therefore Open Sea Air will be just viable for Solo, while Well Read is viable everywhere. In group content the tank can keep mobs away from me while I heal so Vitality won't play a big role considering the incoming heals with Well Read.

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Platform
PC
EDIT: I considered what you told me about the Mana issue and kinda switched my build to THIS. I think it will be better long term for group content and solo PVE in general. Just swapped Open Sea Air to Well Read ultimate, after all I am not going to block something that much in a group content therefore Open Sea Air will be just viable for Solo, while Well Read is viable everywhere. In group content the tank can keep mobs away from me while I heal so Vitality won't play a big role considering the incoming heals with Well Read.
My priest is pure shadow except for her Cure necklace. (I really like that feat cause it's the perfect, tiny, guaranteed heal AND it cures spider webbing and most poison.) Just to give you an idea of how I've built her, this is mine: www.villagers-and-heroes.com/talentbuilder/#?v=3,0,0,0,0,0,20,12,15,5,10,20,35

Aside from the subclass, the only major differences between your priest and mine are in the Balance section. Condemn is a great feat, but so many priests (both shadow and holy) have that Harmonize Ultimate. In group combat, you only need ONE priest in the group to have that Ultimate. (It's a pain having to deal with one person's feats overriding another person's use of the same feat, especially if it's weaker than the existing debuff.) Having more than one priest who has it seems pretty redundant to me. The other reasons why I don't max out Harmonize are that I abhor Rebuke (I much prefer Cure), and I although I have Judgment on my mace, I don't use it often enough to make getting that Ultimate meaningful. Simply having the Condemn feat through the zones where all the mobs are grouped together is good enough for me! Sure, having the boost to the single-target instant damaging feats would be nice, but that would only apply to two of my feats: gloom and shadow orbs. I have 5 other feats that would not be affected by it, and my gloom and shadow orbs already feel really strong in their current state, so nice, but not essential.

If I remember correctly, I maxed out Well Read pretty early on -- when I got to a point where I was starting to have serious mana issues that I couldn't resolve just by using mana rolls and a trinket feat. (I may have even maxed out that talent before I finished with the entire shadow page!) As you can see, I'm currently working towards getting the Shield Bash ultimate. In another 3 levels, when I hit cap, I'll get it. :)

• Likex1

Adricade

Great Adventurer
Characters
Ralthobel, Ralther
Platform
Android, PC
Last edited
@Zazie what would you say if I switch Precision (Harmonize) to Open Sea Air (Shield Bash)? Would that be better for me considering everyone is rolling Harmonize?

EDIT: And HERE is what I mean....

Giruv

Merchant
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
for holy priest i think precision is almost a must have since most of their skill is instant single target, shadow priest don't really need it since most of their skill is DoT which are not affected by precision. I prefer to left out open sea air since the hp bonus is not that much (i don't take the hp bonus on any class that i played because i haven't found a reason why i need that), and i prefer if the enemy is not stunned because it make me able to kill them faster with the return from aura of purity.

• Likex1

Adricade

Great Adventurer
Characters
Ralthobel, Ralther
Platform
Android, PC
Although i consider precision to be important i still think that the passive vitality is always good for extra survival especially as a healer who takes on a bit of heat...

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Platform
PC
for holy priest i think precision is almost a must have since most of their skill is instant single target, shadow priest don't really need it since most of their skill is DoT which are not affected by precision. I prefer to left out open sea air since the hp bonus is not that much (i don't take the hp bonus on any class that i played because i haven't found a reason why i need that), and i prefer if the enemy is not stunned because it make me able to kill them faster with the return from aura of purity.
I think that's probably a more helpful answer than the one I would have given to Adricade's question. I suspect that more holy priests max Precision than shadow priests. Not all priests have the Harmonize ultimate, but in high level group combat and event zones, if there's more than one priest there, chances are very high that at least one of them will have that ultimate. (Which for me personally, means that I feel less pressure to have it too. Which I don't mind one bit considering that imo it doesn't work for me! There's no right way or wrong way to build a toon.)

Ultimately, it's entirely up to you regarding personal preferences setting talent points. And if you find that something isn't working for you, or you thing it could be tweaked, it's easy and pretty inexpensive to reset your talent points. (Do note that this cost increases slightly as you level, and is most expensive at level cap.)

• Likex1