Platform
PC
Last edited
Is there a way to kick people from village? There should be.. Just like the vote for leader, there should be a vote to kick.. But the vote to kick should also require the leaders vote. And maybe get the backing of 20% of the village to complete?

Let me also clarify..
When someone proposes a vote to kick someone, the devs should make it so a reason should also be provided. Just my two cents.

Royal Guardian
Characters
Jenny The Brave ...
Platform
Android, PC
There isn't and imo we shouldn't be able to do this so a big NO!

And what would be the reason to kick someone out?

Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
This would go entirely against the current housing situation. It has been noted several times by devs that it is not done to try and force someone from the village by threathening them, bribing them, bullying them out, etc. I dont see how voting someone out is not 'forcing out', so imo this has a near 0 chance of implementation. It just doesnt follow the view on villages and housing.

Aernak

Lumineer
Characters
Aernak, Karametra, Yondalla
Platform
iOS
It seems like there could be situations where this might be helpful. What if there was a toxic neighbor stealing from vault, emptying all of the nodes (and not refilling), spamming local/village chat, logging purely to troll, etc. etc. The best one could do is remove vault access and block them. But maybe OP is onto something here... maybe there should be some sort of an option to deal with this sort of neighbor.

I wish villages could somehow be larger. I have heard multiple times from frustrated mayors who have a village half-full of inactive calendar loggers and people's alts, leaving no room for active players who want to join.

I also dislike that there is no room to accommodate our alt characters in villages. Why can't my 3 characters all share a lot? I'd like a nice 3-story home, please. LOL. :p

Kaydee

BRA Member
Platform
PC
Last edited
The only thing you can do is, get screenies of chat/vault log, who was involved, where, when, and send info to devs via CS.
They will make a decision, and act on it.
And that is probably the way it should be, otherwise peeps, who have done nothing wrong, would end up being booted, time and again, for no other reason, than not being in the current popular guild, or not being able to log in every day, d/t real life constraints, etc, etc, etc.

Platform
PC
It seems like there could be situations where this might be helpful. What if there was a toxic neighbor stealing from vault, emptying all of the nodes (and not refilling), spamming local/village chat, logging purely to troll, etc. etc. The best one could do is remove vault access and block them. But maybe OP is onto something here... maybe there should be some sort of an option to deal with this sort of neighbor.

I wish villages could somehow be larger. I have heard multiple times from frustrated mayors who have a village half-full of inactive calendar loggers and people's alts, leaving no room for active players who want to join.

I also dislike that there is no room to accommodate our alt characters in villages. Why can't my 3 characters all share a lot? I'd like a nice 3-story home, please. LOL. :p
If you have someone causing a lot of toxicity in your village, you can submit a cs ticket (as mentioned above). Proof will required.

As far as room for alts, if your village is not full, you are free to move your alts into the village. If the village is full, you can move your alts to a separate village. Many (myself included) like having alts in separate villages - you can make more friends that way. You can also help other guilds to keep their villages closed (which is my main reason for doing so).

Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
If you invite someone into your party for a dungeon run and they disrupt the party, you have every right to kick them from the group that you created, but you have no option to kick them from the dungeon which Mad Otter created. The dungeon, itself, is a game asset. There are tools within the game to manage player created assets such as party groups and guilds, but there are no mechanisms in place to manage game assets.

Specific to villages, a mayor can restrict access to vault expansions that were opened by the joint efforts of players within that village, but can not restrict access to the original vault as that is an inherent part of the village itself. A village mayor has the tools to manage player created assets, but no tools, whatsoever, to manage access to the village itself.

While I sympathize with the situation the OP is dealing with, this is not only as it should be, but how it is in almost every online MMO out there. Yes, the ability to kick a disruptive player from a village would be an incredibly useful tool to have, but the ability to use that tool in an abusive manner is greater than any constructive use it could be put to. There are two things that an MMO [that wants to stay in business] is simply not going to give you. The ability to limit access to existing game assets, and the ability to discipline other players. As good as this suggestion may appear to be, that is, effectively, what you are asking them to do.

If you are having an issue with another player that is being disruptive, abusive, or violating the ToS, the only effective option you have is to report that player by generating a CS ticket. The better able you are to document the abusive conduct, the more likely Mad Otter will be to take disciplinary action. That disciplinary action could take many forms. In extreme cases, it could even result in a suspension of that players account and/or removal from your village. While you may not have a direct ability to limit player access to your village, you can make use of the existing structure to accomplish that same task... if you can effectively and conclusively demonstrate the need.

I live in a happy village and want the same for every other player. I hope that you will be able to resolve any issues your village is having so its residents can have a happy village too. Working within the existing system is the most effective means of making that happen.

Platform
PC
Did I not mention that it should be a vote? And the reason I said 20% is because let's face it.. even good players are often not online for days at times.. so you gotta assume getting a whole village to vote is tough. But again, if you have a whole village that wants someone out.. is it not reasonable for them to vote them out? And this is now how it is in other games? Obliviously you started your gaming experience recently because most mmo games the leader has full power to kick people without the need of a vote. I don't know what games you are talking about..

Anyway, at least <moderator edit> knows what I am talking about here. I am suggesting a way to kick people who are not benefiting the village, have left the guild even and are lurking in the village taking up a space just to be annoying. This should not require some ticket created for devs to deal with. You want the devs to swing your sword and cast your spells also for you? Then who is playing the game? them or you? What is happening to people these days.

<Moderator edit, calling out>
I tried very hard to understand the situation that you assumed existed.. yet you never really gave a situation, and what is a 'view' exactly, your view, the devs view? please explain further? Now, you did mention forcing them out, but is that not the point? That is exactly what we would want to do to some lurker who wont leave, we want to force them out Duh.... why would you not when that is exactly what you want to do?

How can it be abused when you have a village vote? Tell me that since you never really explained that clearly.. Because it seems that is what you are tying to say.. But so far all I see is rhetoric about a view./

To answer the first comment. the reason to kick someone is because your village chooses to. After all, why would you want to be in a village when everyone kicks you out just because they don't want you there? You still want to be with them? I mean give me a break. Give me a real excuse please..

Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
There have been plenty 'gangs' over the years who thought they could decide for players whether or not they were wished in the games, and by that whether they were ALLOWED by the masses to be in te game or not. I will never support a system that gives those masses the power to deny someone their place in the game. The current situation is that nobody may be Forced from a village. Not by bribing them, not by threatening them and not by bullying them out. I dont see how that is not a clear explanation of the current situation.
In short: it is not up to you to decide who is allowed to live somewhere.

Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I will try to answer the point by dealing with possible reasons why a player should be removed from a village.

1) The player is raiding the community vault.
Solution: Remove the player's vault access. There is no need to remove the player from the village.

2) The player is abusive of other players in the village.
Solution: This is harrassment, plain and simple. The player should be reported by taking screenshots and submitting to CS. This is a bigger issue than being in the village, and should be treated as such by the DEVS, not players. We don't want vigilante groups taking the law into their own hands.

3) The player is inactive.
Solution: If the player is truly inactive, they will lose their house in 14 days. If they are for example a gardening alt, what right does anyone else have to kick them out of their house?

4) The player empties the village nodes and doesn't replace the stock they remove.
Solution: There isn't one. The player isn't doing anything that breaks ToS. All they are doing is gathering items from a node. Quite possibly they CANNOT replace the materials because they cannot gather from wild nodes of that level (which is one of the principle advantages of village nodes). Why should a player be kicked out of a village for using the nodes exactly as they are intended?

5) 20% of the village don't want them here.
Solution: There is no solution here either, because again there is no problem. Not being popular with a MINORITY of the village isn't against ToS (nor even a majority). The only possible breach of ToS is that a small group of players are ganging up on an innocent party they don't like.

6) The player is spamming or trolling the villagers.
Solution: As with no.2, this is a breach of ToS which is not really a village matter, but a game one. Screenshot and Report the trolling or spamming and let the Devs deal with it.

If they are other issues which you think apply, please post them and I will attempt to address those issues.

Kaydee

BRA Member
Platform
PC
Last edited by a moderator
Did I not mention that it should be a vote? And the reason I said 20% is because let's face it.. even good players are often not online for days at times.. so you gotta assume getting a whole village to vote is tough. But again, if you have a whole village that wants someone out.. is it not reasonable for them to vote them out?(1) And this is now how it is in other games? Obliviously you started your gaming experience recently because most mmo games the leader has full power to kick people without the need of a vote. I don't know what games you are talking about..
Anyway, at least Aernak knows (2) what I am talking about here. I am suggesting a way to kick people who are not benefiting the village (3), have left the guild even and are lurking in the village taking up a space just to be annoying. This should not require some ticket created for devs to deal with. You want the devs to swing your sword and cast your spells also for you?(2) Then who is playing the game? them or you? What is happening to people these days.
Mod edit
I tried very hard to understand the situation that you assumed existed.. yet you never really gave a situation, and what is a 'view' exactly, your view, the devs view? please explain further? Now, you did mention forcing them out, but is that not the point? That is exactly what we would want to do to some lurker who wont leave, we want to force them out Duh (2).... why would you not when that is exactly what you want to do?
How can it be abused when you have a village vote?(4) Tell me that since you never really explained that clearly.. Because it seems that is what you are tying to say.. But so far all I see is rhetoric about a view./
To answer the first comment. the reason to kick someone is because your village chooses to. After all, why would you want to be in a village when everyone kicks you out just because they don't want you there? You still want to be with them? I mean give me a break. Give me a real excuse please..(5)
No need to get mean about it, and, just cos we don't agree, doesn't mean we're dim somehow (2).
(1) No it is not, if they have not broken the ToS.
(3) People are obliged to heed the ToS, but they are not obliged to play the game in any other way than how they enjoy it ~within the ToS (including you, I might add).
(4) I do believe, I answered that question, when I said "people could find themselves at the short end of the most current popularity contest, and be booted from village, even if they've done nothing wrong".
(5) I personally wouldn't want to live in your village, but at the same time, if you and your crew were to move into my village, I'd be seriously po'ed, if you locked me out of the village vault, and tried to get me to move out of 'my' village.
On a final note, yes, it is a bother if you have a troll in your midst, I totally agree with you on that, and the game makers have given us a way to deal with it: send screenies to CS, and devs will decide what to do, end of.
If players were given that power, the tables would all too quickly turn, and end up becoming a veritable troll-fest.

Platform
PC
No, this is too easy to be abused. For example, a guild wants to take over a public village and needs X more spots to become available.

If a player is living in your village that you are not happy with you can try to find a way to communicate with them to resolve the issues, contact devs, or move to another village.

Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
You did not mention the fact that you were talking about a guild village in your OP. It would not have changed my position that much, but I would have worded my response differently. That said, it does not seem from your response that you are prepared to deal with any opinions that do not mirror your own, regardless of how they are worded.

"Did I not mention that it should be a vote? And the reason I said 20% is because let's face it.. even good players are often not online for days at times.. so you gotta assume getting a whole village to vote is tough. But again, if you have a whole village that wants someone out.. is it not reasonable for them to vote them out?"

Yes, I would not have addressed the voting issue if I had not seen it. Did you not see my response? The fact that I disagreed with the concept does not mean I am too dense to grasp the particulars. It is my opinion that the devs would never allow for this. To answer your question...
No, it is not "reasonable" for a group of players to have the power to vote who may or may not have access to game assets. V&H is not a democracy.

"And this is now how it is in other games? Obliviously you started your gaming experience recently because most mmo games the leader has full power to kick people without the need of a vote. I don't know what games you are talking about."

I stand by my original comments. The fact that you wish to interpret those comments out of their intended context does not change them. The vast majority of other games do not employ the village concept. They have private housing and guild halls which are managed as you describe because they are player controlled assets. Yes, you can kick a player from your guild and group, just as you can in V&H. You can lock your house and guild hall from unwanted visitors and can even kick people from a game instance that you control. All of these are player generated assets. The V&H village is player enhanced, but it is not a player generated asset. I can wander into your village at any time and even make use of your COG station. Why? Because it is a viable part of the V&H game world. Different games allow different levels of player management but in my decades of active gaming, I have never run across any game that allows you to exclude a player from any open area of its game world, regardless of how many people vote on the issue.

"I am suggesting a way to kick people who are not benefiting the village, have left the guild even and are lurking in the village taking up a space just to be annoying. This should not require some ticket created for devs to deal with. You want the devs to swing your sword and cast your spells also for you? Then who is playing the game? them or you? What is happening to people these days "

"What is happening to people these days" is that some of us choose to use the tools provided instead of inventing new tools to replace those that already exist. I do not depend upon the devs to swing my sword and cast my spells for me. What I do depend upon them to do, among many other things, is enforce the ToS, discipline disruptive players, and resolve player issues. These are some of their many responsibilities. Theirs, not yours, and not yours by virtue of your democratic assembly of voters. If you have an issue with another player, the official and existing method of resolving that issue is to involve the devs by generating a CS ticket. That is the tool and method for accomplishing the job. It is not open to debate. It is not open to vote. If you choose to not make use of the tools and methods provided, your issue will not be resolved. It's really no more complicated than that and I will not waste any further time and effort debating an issue for which a solution already exists.

To close, I feel a need to point out that it is more than possible for people to debate an issue without resorting to personal insult. While I strongly disagree with your suggestion and am of the opinion the devs would never implement it, I feel I was respectful of your opinions in my initial response. I did not take your comments out of context, and did not offer any insult. I would appreciate it if you would make future responses to me in like kind.

Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Please keep responses on topic and refrain from calling out others or responding personally instead of to a subject.

Platform
PC
Last edited
I never mentioned the word dense, but since I have a perspective that is slightly different then yours and having the interest to question the current game.. are you assuming that I am dense? Since such a concept would be universal right?
Its fine though.. I appreciate the responses, and I see your points. I'm not sure I agree with it all but I realize this game is trying to be as non pvp as possible and I'm good with that. Still, I think they should have given guilds exclusive rights to control villages in my view. Maybe only by starting one as new after a guild is created. Then you have the best of both worlds..

Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I think there is some confusion here between guilds and villages, and in particular between a public village and a private, guild village.

In the past, guild villages were created from scratch by guilds and built up from nothing, The problem with this was that the number of spaces for guilds to create villages in this way was always limited, and secondly, since only 25 villagers were needed to keep a village private, large amounts of server resources were used up on villages which were almost empty. To resolve this situation, the Devs changed the system so that a guild could request a village be converted from public to guild village status if the guild had 40 members living in the village.

Whilst this solution helps to resolve the issue of wasted resources, it does however create a scenario where a player could be resident in a village which is made into a guild village even though they are not a member of that guild. Given that the player in question has done nothing to break ToS, it is hardly fair that they should have to move simply because a guild has moved in. Once a village has become a guild village, only guild members can join the village, but those already in place have a perfect right to remain, unless they are doing something to disrupt the village, in which case it is perfectly reasonable for the Mayor to request through CS that the player be moved out, if they refuse to move amicably.

Giving the Mayor the means to remove the player themselves rather than having to use a CS ticket might seem a simple enough solution, but the problem is that it would also allow unscrupulous Mayors to remove existing residents who had done nothing wrong. To avoid this scenario, it is right and proper that the procedure is to apply to CS to ask for a disruptive player to be removed.

For a public village, on the other hand, the question is entirely moot. No one has a right to remove another player from a public village. The ONLY circumstance under which such a move would be even considered would be if a player were being abusive or was harrassing another member of the village, which is definitely a matter for CS to deal with.

Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I would also like to once again remind all posters to keep their comments polite and relevant to the discussion, and not to snipe at each other nor make any personal remarks, implied or otherwise.

Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Is there a way to kick people from village? There should be.. Just like the vote for leader, there should be a vote to kick.. But the vote to kick should also require the leaders vote. And maybe get the backing of 20% of the village to complete?

Let me also clarify..
When someone proposes a vote to kick someone, the devs should make it so a reason should also be provided. Just my two cents.
I have a question for you, is yours an open village or a guild village?

Open villages are open to anyone who wants to put their house there, even if most of the residents are in a guild, or the mayor is a guild leader, or you name it a guild village, an open village will remain an open village and you cannot kick people out.

A guild village is a closed village and can only be occupied by someone in the guild. If you are in an open village and want to have your village made to a guild village, there are rules you must follow to request the village be made into a guild village.

Edited to add link to info to have a village made a guild village.

Bless

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Bless, Signe, Heksen, Selia
Platform
PC
Let me see, if I have a village of 32 members and 2 players decide to move in with 4 toons each. Those two players now represent 20% of the village. Should those 2 players be able to kick out everybody else, that have worked for this village? That is a hostile takeover.

Being a guild leader and mayor myself, I do understand why you sometime want to remove a player. But on the other side I also see it totally unfair that a few toon should be able to kick me out from the village I have build.

I think for guild villages it is strange you can be kick out of the guild, but not from the village.

Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Let me see, if I have a village of 32 members and 2 players decide to move in with 4 toons each. Those two players now represent 20% of the village. Should those 2 players be able to kick out everybody else, that have worked for this village? That is a hostile takeover.

Being a guild leader and mayor myself, I do understand why you sometime want to remove a player. But on the other side I also see it totally unfair that a few toon should be able to kick me out from the village I have build.

I think for guild villages it is strange you can be kick out of the guild, but not from the village.
Generally, in the past (I'm not sure if it still pertains) if someone is kicked from the guild but they refuse to leave the village, the guild leader of a guild village can open a ticket with Customer Support to inquire about the person being removed. But CS would be the first place to start.