Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
oh now this is a good idea. like a small in-game incentive to creat content on the game for those who already enjoy it. That way, only people who truly enjoy the game, and will have insider knowledge will be inclined to make it, and not have outside money-hungry people taking advantage of the system.

Something leads me to believe this would have the same issue as ultra rare zogs though.
Yeah, I initially liked the general idea of giving players a reason to help make V&H a bit more visible through YouTube videos and Twitch livestreams. (However, I wasn't thinking of it as a major marketing campaign, but more as a way of proving to new players that the game isn't dead. Cause let's face it, I don't know if players get this impression because the V&H YouTube videos that come up in their searches are the oldest ones (because those have the most views and therefore are higher in their search results), or if it's because their searches leave something to be desired, or if it's because YouTube posters haven't tied the right keywords to their videos when they published them, or what.) I wasn't thinking about rewarding these efforts though, but yes, I also agree that there would likely be exploits. Which is why I would be more in favor of tying this to community challenges instead, and of emphasizing content that would help new players and existing players alike.

I think that pushing for the creation of more basic how-to V&H guides on YouTube (not even necessarily with any specific in-game reward) is an excellent idea. As the official V&H Wiki can always use new contributors and new pages, so too is there a real need for new short videos posted on YouTube by existing V&H players. You know how often we refer new players to the Wiki when answering FAQ's in world chat? Wouldn't it be awesome if we could also refer them to a YouTube video?? :)

Adricade

Great Adventurer
Characters
Ralthobel, Ralther
Platform
Android, PC
Hi, new player here. I logged in the forums as I wanted to check how the game is doing population wise and found this thread as the most recent one.
Honestly, I do not see any stats anywhere. I was looking at Steam charts as this is from where I play the game anyway but there about 40-50 players peaks. Of course I do not base my opinion of the game on that, nor I think that Steam is the only medium to get stats from, but I definitely wanted to see the health of the game.

I was playing the game back when it launched but I wasn't mature enough to appreciate it back then. Now after so many updates and considering the fact that a new expansion is coming I think the game is lively and has a decent community that I cannot find any information about. I really want to know how many people play it at end game as this is perhaps the first game in a decade where I log in the forums just to find that information. I want to invest time in it as it is everything I currently need in my life. It is relaxing, I love the art style, the old school feel and yes I see there is some lag with abilities but overall I think the game deserves a better reception from the masses considering all the useless titles that came out these last few years.

P.S. - Talking about a YouTube marketing, I recently bought equipment to start a channel like a microphone and video editing software, so I would love to create some videos about it. Not that I know that much - currently level 10 Priest that loves his two sheep and constantly grows some plants in his garden.

Aernak

Lumineer
Characters
Aernak, Karametra, Yondalla
Platform
iOS
I 100% agree with Skaveek that retention is even more important than attracting new players. I have only been playing for 13 months and I have had to say goodbye to wayyy too many friends. :(

I wish that the village "projects" were more than just solo farming & dumping mats into a project board. I wish they'd implement the VvV that they talked about many years ago. I wish that they'd add more dungeons and scaled zones. I wish they'd up the level caps. I wish they'd give us dailies to grind for elite items. <-- I think all of those things - and other side-content ideas - would be a better use of M.O. resources than marketing & advertising to new players.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Hi, new player here. I logged in the forums as I wanted to check how the game is doing population wise and found this thread as the most recent one.
Honestly, I do not see any stats anywhere. I was looking at Steam charts as this is from where I play the game anyway but there about 40-50 players peaks. Of course I do not base my opinion of the game on that, nor I think that Steam is the only medium to get stats from, but I definitely wanted to see the health of the game.

I was playing the game back when it launched but I wasn't mature enough to appreciate it back then. Now after so many updates and considering the fact that a new expansion is coming I think the game is lively and has a decent community that I cannot find any information about. I really want to know how many people play it at end game as this is perhaps the first game in a decade where I log in the forums just to find that information. I want to invest time in it as it is everything I currently need in my life. It is relaxing, I love the art style, the old school feel and yes I see there is some lag with abilities but overall I think the game deserves a better reception from the masses considering all the useless titles that came out these last few years.

P.S. - Talking about a YouTube marketing, I recently bought equipment to start a channel like a microphone and video editing software, so I would love to create some videos about it. Not that I know that much - currently level 10 Priest that loves his two sheep and constantly grows some plants in his garden.
As far as I know, no such information or charts are available to us. The Otters are probably the only ones with access to this information, but whether or not they want to share it, is another thing (I dont know, I have never seen or heard them share it publicy).

Good to hear you're planning to make video's! Don't worry about your level, if there are only video's about the 80+ zones it is no use to newer players anyway. It is surely good to show them the start too, what they can expect when just starting out. I hope to see some of your video's soon!

VvV ? What is that?
Village versus village

Kitty the Hunter

Villager
Platform
PC

Not many players use Steam because Steam will not allow cross platform. If you are just starting I recommend downloading the stand alone client and playing on pc and or mobile if you have that option.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Not many players use Steam because Steam will not allow cross platform. If you are just starting I recommend downloading the stand alone client and playing on pc and or mobile if you have that option.
I absolutely agree on that! I am a steam player and since I was too high a level to consider the switch a viable option when crossplatform came out I am still there, but it happens at least three times a month I wish I started out on the SAC instead.

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
I absolutely agree on that! I am a steam player and since I was too high a level to consider the switch a viable option when crossplatform came out I am still there, but it happens at least three times a month I wish I started out on the SAC instead.
Yeah, I use Steam mainly to get access to old PC titles. When it comes to online games, I've learned the hard way that if you see something you like on Steam, it never hurts to do a quick search to see if there is a SAC available for it. Some people actually prefer to run games through Steam, when possible. I'm the opposite. I run games through Steam when that's the only possible option.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Last edited
Yeah, I use Steam mainly to get access to old PC titles. When it comes to online games, I've learned the hard way that if you see something you like on Steam, it never hurts to do a quick search to see if there is a SAC available for it. Some people actually prefer to run games through Steam, when possible. I'm the opposite. I run games through Steam when that's the only possible option.
me too

Adricade

Great Adventurer
Characters
Ralthobel, Ralther
Platform
Android, PC
@Littlenymph @Ekimie @Kitty the Hunter @IrishElf - So if I download SAC and make my new character, would I be able to transfer all my money and some items from the Steam character to the new guy? I hate to lose all that gold I accumulated during level 10 I already have like 2-3 gold which for me it's at least something...

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Gold you can mail, so you'd first have to make the new char, then you can mail it. Only tradeable items are mailable, you can sent up to 26 items in a day. If you hoover over the item it will tell you if it is soulbound, account bound or neither

Reactions: Adricade
  • Likex1

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
You can send anything that is not bound via mail, to include coin. Some bound items are tradeable to a vendor, so you can sell them to a vendor, converting them to coin, and then mail them the coin.

That said...
Having more than one account is against the ToS, but because of the limitation on cross-platform play with Steam, MO has never enforced that if one, and only one, of those accounts, is with Steam. I am one of those players that happens to have both a Steam and a SAC account and it has never been an issue for me.
My personal advice would be to start a SAC account and leave the Steam account as it is. You could always treat it as an alternate character and use it to farm ranch and gardening items to augment your SAC character. You could also use it as a test platform to try different classes to see if you want to play them. I would not normally suggest doing that to a new character, but seeing as how you already have one in place, you could take advantage of that fact in a number of ways. I know that 3 gold and 10 levels seem like a big investment, but it's not really a huge sacrifice in the greater scheme of things. Having already gone through that content, you could probably repeat it in half the time.

Adricade

Great Adventurer
Characters
Ralthobel, Ralther
Platform
Android, PC
Thanks for the advise guys I appreciate it! I downloaded SAC and I can see considerably less skills lag than the Steam version! Plus I created my new char, transferred all my money to him and deleted the Steam version completely. It feels a lot more fluent and less glitchy I don't know why. I am already level 7 as I had an XP boost pie from my first level 10 character so it's not so bad I will be 10 tomorrow anyway :)

EDIT: I even played on my phone today and I feel so complete now that I can manage my character from both devices! Very good indeed!

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
Glad you got that sorted out and were able to do so before you had too much invested in your original character.
I don't want to slam Steam [too badly] since I use them for other things, but I'm sure you will be much happier running the SAC.

Reactions: Adricade
  • Likex1