Diet

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Last edited by a moderator
livestream_diet.jpg

Hello everyone,

As many of you were aware we were doing daily livestream over the past two weeks. And while the reason for those livestreams was a bummer, the result is that we learned that livestreams are a great thing! You guys seem to like them, we like them, it keeps us all in touch, and keeps us human! A win-win-win-win! So let’s do more!

To begin with, starting this Friday, Diet (me) will be doing a Let’s Play” livestream.

Here are the Livestream details:
  • Diet will play Villagers and Heroes on the live servers from 11am to 12pm every Friday (Pacific Standard Time).
  • Like always, it will be streamed to the Villagers and Heroes Twitch channel.
  • To start, we are committing to four Fridays. After this we will evaluate if the format, time, and content of the stream is working out.
Here are the details of what will be happening on screen:
  • Diet will be playing on US3.
  • He will be playing both a class and spec that the community decides on (vote here!).
  • He will not be able to use any sneaky dev powers, i.e. he will be a "normal"!
  • He will be playing a character that has an active Ardent Society Membership and starts with a mount from the shop.
  • He will get 50 crowns per week to spend in the shop.
  • He will start at level 1, just like everyone does!
  • He will only play the character while on the livestream (so he won’t be leveling up after hours and in between streams).
  • Players on the server can play alongside him if they wish, or just watch.
  • During the stream will be a time to watch Diet play, get insights or history about certain quests and locations, and a chance for players to ask various questions about what is happening on screen. It won't really be a time to ask general questions about the game.
We have never done anything like this before, so things may be subject to change. We embark on this journey together, we will see how it goes!

See you guys on Friday!

The livestream will be at:
  • 11am PDT
  • 2pm EDT
  • 19:00 CET
  • 18:00 GMT
  • 15:00 BRT

Mutsie

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Mutsie, Undertow, Susurrus
Platform
PC
That sounds like great fun, great idea Otters! After us all needing our game-fix while the game was down, we now most certainly appreciate our Twitch-fix, since we developed a new addiction *dedication :p

BBlue

Legendary Hero
Characters
Bulmablue, Bulla S., P.Vegeta
Platform
PC
I like this idea of one of the devs playing starting at level 1 and playing with out special dev power so they can get an idea from normal players view point of playing and see if anything needs to change.

Queeny

Citizen
Royal Guardian
Characters
Jenny The Brave ...
Platform
Android, PC
Time in GMT pls :)

Ceri

Huntress
Platform
PC
Hopefully it will be saved like other livestreams as I will be at work during the live time.

Myst

Squirrel
Characters
Mystic Fox
Platform
PC
Yes, I'd like to see it saved to watch later as I also will be at work.

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
I had an idea: What would happen if every 4 weeks, Diet started playing a new class/subclass, on a different server? This would allow everyone to watch Diet playing several different classes/subclasses and would have the bonus of letting each server host a series of the livestreams. (I don't feel that hosting every single one of these livestreams on the most populated server is doing all the other servers any favors!)

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
The biggest problem with that would be that the livestreams would end up being multiple re runs of the tutorial zones, which wouldn't really show the classes in any detail.

Reactions: BadgerReborn
  • Likex1

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Can't wait until Mad Marianna is dungeon ready :)

BadgerReborn

Squirrel
Characters
BadgerReborn ,Badger66
Platform
Android, PC
maybe it would be possible for the Otterz to clone the DietToon onto all servers, so every few weeks or so he could play a different server ?

Characters
BashaDrake, Elmeti, Knytro
Platform
Android
I can understand the feeling of wanting to see other servers represented, but it seems impractical. At 1 hour a week, thats only 4 hours of game time a month. Many of us play that much in a day:p Spreading that out over multiple servers just wouldn't work.

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
The biggest problem with that would be that the livestreams would end up being multiple re runs of the tutorial zones, which wouldn't really show the classes in any detail.
Where does it say that Diet has to begin playing each subclass at level 1? He could use dev cheats before the beginning of the first livestream in a series, getting a toon up to say, level 55...that point in the game where the choices you make in terms of gear and build are more interesting and have a bigger impact. He could use dev cheats simply to get the toon up to an appropriate amount of crafting/gathering skill levels, buy a little extra storage and sockets...acquiring those things which he would have received from the new player calendar/monthly calendar during the time it would have taken a new player to get from lvl 1 up to 55.

And yes, I agree with Majenta's point that you wouldn't want all of the livestreams to just be a rehash of the earliest zones in the game. However, we have to identify the audience of these livestreams, along with their intended purpose. Are these Twitch livestreams intended to attract more new players? If so, you want to tantalize them and make certain that they want to try playing V&H for themselves!

Or are they meant to be more of interest to existing players? And if they're meant more for the current community, then what are WE most interested in seeing? Diet playing just one class all the way through from level 1 to 90 (which would include many spoilers for players who don't necessarily want to see zones they haven't unlocked yet) or a series of play sessions devoted to a variety of classes? You could even spend 2 months on each class & allow each subclass to see a full month of consecutive gameplay. (If existing players are the target audience, is the intent of these livestreams to encourage players to try a different subclass than the one they're currently playing and/or to create a new toon and level it up?) This is largely up to the Otters, in terms of how long they wish to run this series of livestreams. (I'm aware that they will reassess the situation after 4 weeks of these livestreams.)

I can understand the feeling of wanting to see other servers represented, but it seems impractical. At 1 hour a week, thats only 4 hours of game time a month. Many of us play that much in a day:p Spreading that out over multiple servers just wouldn't work.
Which is why I was suggesting spending at least 4 weeks in a row on each server. I don't really see it as a question of practicality -- not in that way, at least. I view it as an opportunity for some neglected servers to get a little bit of lovin'...even if just in the form of public acknowledgment. Cause for the past year (since the launch of US3), things have become progressively quieter in game on all the servers except for US3, and that's not healthy. Not for the game as a whole. When one server struggles to maintain an active population, it's a sign. And right now, I see many of my friends logging in daily, claiming the monthly calendar, possibly gardening/ranching (but not always), and then logging right back out again. Players like that are barely hanging onto the game by a thread. And either there is no content in the game that they have yet to explore (frequently on multiple toons) or they're within 5 levels of cap. It comes back to player retention once again (not that I really think these "Let's Play!" livestreams will help retain this specific group of players, unfortunately.)

Reactions: BadgerReborn
  • Likex1

Chris30s

Adventurer
Characters
Mari Blue, Saffira, Chris30s
Platform
PC
I just got finished watching the livestream.

@Diet, I had a thought that the echo might be happening because of your air conditioning turning on and cutting off. I remember that it was giving us a tinny vibration noise on one of the streams during the shutdown... thought maybe your microphone might be trying to compensate somehow while it's running, and therefore, we get "empty-room echo" when that extra noice goes silent.

Not sure how to fix that / stop it from happening, but... just throwing it out there.

candiq

Priest
Characters
NeverBorn, Myka, EtherBorn
Platform
PC
Just watched the live stream, and just wanted to say that being a loner ingame, I learned a few things that at lvl 25 I still did not know. Mostly about managing "stuff". Thanks for this. I think this is a great idea. For the devs and veteran players, some stuff is just known, but the tiny tidbits of ingame activity are not always apparent. I appreciate the stream and will be watching timely to see what else I have not learned yet. BTW the echo was not so bad, could have been worse, you could have been speaking a foreign language and I would not have heard anything.