marty57

Citizen
Last edited
Hi I am was using play on Linux to run the game, if any other Linux users can offer any advice please do :)
Game loads sometimes, if deleted and reinstalled as 16 bit , but play on linux does not complete, no desktop icon gets created. If I close the game I have to reinstall and it does not always work. Thanks to any one for tips. ALSA has always failed not worried about sound.

[06/14/19 14:04:40] - Running wine- VillagersAndHeroes.exe (Working directory : /home/marty/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/V_H/drive_c/Program Files/Villagers and Heroes/AMysticalLandSAC)
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {5a508685-a254-4fba-9b82-9a24b00306af} not registered
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {5a508685-a254-4fba-9b82-9a24b00306af} could be created for context 0x1
AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse"
ALSA lib conf.c:3357:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
AL lib: (EE) ALCplaybackAlsa_open: Could not open playback device 'default': No such file or directory
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winepulse.drv": libpulse.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1029:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:606:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Have a search in the game suggestions and similar subforums, there should be a post somewhere about how to play v&h on linux. By Paranoia I think.

Illuthas

Wizard
Platform
PC
I use playonlinux to install the game. It is a supported game and until the june 3 patch it worked flawlessly.
After that patch it didnt work. I could log in but then it would crash and return a "failed to connect to server error"
I tried to reinstall V&H but it failed with the message "cant find VHlauncher"
I downloaded the setupfile for windows and did a manual install (using playonlinux) and the game would run.
But when i closed the game i couldnt start it again.
Would start but then it would crash.
Reinstalling the game allowed me to start the game but i couldnt close it without having to reinstall.

Somehow i figured out that the game will start in fullscreen mode. ( i can then change resolution during gameplay)

So what currently working for me is this.
Download windows install file
Playonlinux
Install
Install non listed program (bottom left)
Point to the install file
Do a deafult install (note the search path below is based on my name and what i choose to name the install folder)

Start the game with:
/home/Illuthas/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/villagersandheroes/drive_c/Program Files/Villagers and Heroes VHLauncher.exe
On the small loading window check top right corner to make sure it's in full screen mode.
Play the game.

Paranoia

Villager
Forum Moderator
Characters
Paranoia
Platform
Android, PC
Sorry for being late to chime in. Illuthas is fully correct with how it works with wine at the moment. If only I had time to correct Arcadiens script on playonlinux.com, I would do so. But atm real life work doesn't give me that chance. Maybe after the next big patch.... I hope so.

marty57

Citizen
Thanks for the replies, Im trying the reinstall path, many times ,my problem is that the install does not finish. I can still play as long as I do a reinstall every time after a complete delete and just leave the play on linux icon circling in the back ground . Once I close the game window or the play on linux window, I have to reinstall. If I leave the game at the log in window I can usually come back even after a few hours. Sadly the game will not launch from the vhLaunceher iether. So every day at present I reinstall as I have my morning coffee :)

Illuthas

Wizard
Platform
PC
Thanks for the replies, Im trying the reinstall path, many times ,my problem is that the install does not finish. I can still play as long as I do a reinstall every time after a complete delete and just leave the play on linux icon circling in the back ground . Once I close the game window or the play on linux window, I have to reinstall. If I leave the game at the log in window I can usually come back even after a few hours. Sadly the game will not launch from the vhLaunceher iether. So every day at present I reinstall as I have my morning coffee :)
Have you made sure that you dont change resolution and only use fullscreen setting?

marty57

Citizen
it turned out play on linux had not deleted one of the virtual drives so I had two running at once, deleting both and reinstalling has made it work the way you posted. Thanks again. :)