IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
We were talking about mobile chat and how it is a bit difficult for some given the screen size on some equipment.

Maybe make the background of the chat transparent so it won't interfere with bountying, like we can do with pc? Same with zone maps.. it's just a thought.

Reactions: Arjuna
  • Likex1

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Maybe make the background of the chat transparent so it won't interfere with bountying, like we can do with pc? Same with zone maps.. it's just a thought.
Since this is a suggestion that comes up quite often, I figured I'd share an example to illustrate how this is a bit trickier than it seems.
In this screenshot, the mobile chat is semi-transparent so that you can see the game world underneath. This presents the following issues:
  • The text is a lot harder to read, especially on smaller screens
  • The HUD buttons are jumbled together with the chat buttons, adding to confusion
  • You can't actually interact with the game world underneath the chat so it somewhat defeats the purpose
While it might seem like it could fill perhaps only half the screen, the issue is one of screen space - the above is optimized for medium-sized tablets and on an average phone, chat is already a bit too small as it is.

Some of you have suggested just making the HUD popup bubble semi-transparent, but this would present the same issue of text legibility and would not add much functionality.

In light of these constraints and given that our chat is much more advanced than just a single-channel chatroom as in some similar games, we have instead chosen to acknowledge the limitations of mobile devices, envision chat as something you choose to enter and engage with, and simply make that the best experience it can be. (note that I'm not talking about the HUD bubbles here, which I agree can be made better by filtering out channels)

While PC will always be more convenient to chat in due to the vastly larger screens, hopefully this can illustrate why the distinction exists.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Thank you Ivar, You are so great at answering questions!
Once again you have explained things very clearly and given us great examples it all makes perfect sense!

Reactions: Zazie
  • Likex1

Arjuna

Grand Priest
Characters
Arjuna
Platform
Android
You can't actually interact with the game world underneath the chat so it somewhat defeats the purpose
I appreciate your response, and understand your reasoning.

My main desire for transparent background would be:
  • To see monsters spawning when you're typing.
  • To see that your dungeon group is running to the next station when you're typing.
  • To be aware of your environment while you have something important to say.
The limitations you explain in your comment are all things that I personally could live with. The image that you show of the transparent look would be acceptable to me.

Royal Guardian
Characters
William Hououin
Platform
iOS, PC
Woah, you’re right

Always wanted transparency, now I’m not sure anymore lol

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this!

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
There's actually another reason the chat is not transparent too, and it's the same reason the other game windows also aren't transparent: While any window on mobile is open, the game actually stops rendering the game world in the background. This saves on battery and heat, and makes the UI feel much smoother to use since there's no need to draw anything behind the window. While we could certainly live without this feature, it's quite a useful one!