Royal Guardian
Characters
William Hououin
Platform
iOS, PC
Why do we play MMOs ?

As for myself, while I really enjoy some MMOs stories (Final fantasy XIV, Villagers and heroes), many jrpg are more enthralling to me. Games such as Persona 3, the tales of series, etc…

So, I wouldn’t say I play MMOs for the story.

Is it because of the gameplay then ?

While some MMOs features great combat system and mechanics, I tend to prefer playing action games, such as Monster Hunter, Dark Souls or my all time favourite, Ninja Gaiden Black.

So, seems I don’t play them for the gameplay ...

Could it be for the graphics ...

So many games are better looking than MMOs, it can’t be for how they look…

So, why do I play MMOs ?

Well, for what they are… Massively multiplayer online role-playing games!

For the people, for the world and freedom given to the player !

That’s the huge difference that no other game provides ! The feeling of living in a world, with many activities to do, gathering, crafting, events, creating bonds with people, being a part of some drama, those are what makes MMOs so special to me !

Really interested to hear what are your reasons to play them !

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
V&H is one of the first MMOs I played, and the only one that I continue to play actively. I've tried countless others and even enjoyed most of them - but after the relationships you form in V&H, the others just feel empty in comparison. Like you're just another fish in an endless sea of players. In other MMOs you may make a few friends, but chances are you'll never see nor run with them again. In this game you're a part of a community and seeing familiar faces on a day to day basis makes it feel like a neighborhood rather than a sprawling city... and I'm perfectly fine with that.

One of the biggest reasons I play V&H is the fact that I feel that an individual in this game can have an impact. This is because of the close relationship the developers have with the community - particularly Sarah Otter.

It was around two ago that I approached her with the idea of an Event Committee that would have a few players from each server to design and organize events. I honestly didn't expect much to come from the idea. They are busy developers after all and this would just add additional workload. Lo and behold she took to the idea and we've had some fantastic events as a result. This type of stuff simply doesn't happen in other games. Despite them having over 10x the employees than Mad Otter does. That is something unique to V&H and definitely worthy of appreciation.

So why do I play?
  • The people - be it the players or developers - who make it feel like a home.
  • The fact that any individual can make a difference.
  • And of course, the game is pretty dang entertaining as well :)

Giruv

Merchant
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
The people - be it the players or developers - who make it feel like a home.
This is V&H selling point and the only reason i still in the game. It felt like i'm being involved in the game progress even tho I rarely actually play the game anymore. The same with the only other online game (not really a MMO) i played, the game is very boring basically just grinding by clicking every 15 minutes, but somehow i have played the games for more than 10 years for the same reason, good community and developer. It might not be the key to make a very popularMMO RPG game but that make the game able to survive.

Nyxxe

Priestess
Platform
PC, Steam
I don't play MMOs. I don't play video games in fact. Last ones should have been mario kart or tetris. I mean on a Gameboy. The grey one, the old one. Each time my gf played some I was angry at seeing how people behave with each other. She started to play this one, I had time at that moment, so I took a look, played her toon a bit, found nice people, played a bit more, kidnapped her toon and made it mine and now I'm addicted.
And if a troll is showing up... muhahaHAHA! I can be a nightmare 😂

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
I don't play MMOs. I don't play video games in fact. Last ones should have been mario kart or tetris. I mean on a Gameboy. The grey one, the old one. Each time my gf played some I was angry at seeing how people behave with each other. She started to play this one, I had time at that moment, so I took a look, played her toon a bit, found nice people, played a bit more, kidnapped her toon and made it mine and now I'm addicted.
No wonder you were nice in the beginning but.. but things changed... ;p

Reactions: Nyxxe
  • Likex1
Royal Guardian
Characters
William Hououin
Platform
iOS, PC
Awesome story !
Also, my first console ever was the original Gameboy, and I was playing Teenage mutant turtle 1 on it

Time has changed a lot, nowadays I am playing a full fledged mmo on my phone ...
A3D1F2C6-4453-494A-BF30-C5678E5C0C00.jpeg

Reactions: Nyxxe
  • Likex1

Nyxxe

Priestess
Platform
PC, Steam
No wonder you were nice in the beginning but.. but things changed... ;p
Oh Eki, a good girl is selective with whom she will be bad. Not everyone is worthy of my bad side, you should be honored 😘🤗

Leizong

Legendary Hero
Platform
Android, PC
或许是因为我在VH花费了超过2000美金,我舍不得丢掉他。哈哈当然不是这样,说实话,我尝试了很多游戏,最终又回到了这里。这是我第二款喜欢的游戏,第一个是混沌与秩序,我玩了五年,可以再也回不去了。

Platform
PC
V&H is my only MMO. I've tried others, but none lasted more than 2 weeks. When I started, the game was called A Mystical Land (aka AML). It was 2011...5 of my kids were graduated and moved out. My 6th was getting ready to graduate. AML gave me an outlet and helped me to get through 'empty nest'.

What's kept me here? As William said...it's not the game play (which face it, IS repetitive)...it's not the crafting (again, repetitive)... it's not the quests (they've changed over the years - and NO offense to Sarah, but I DO miss some of the plays on words that the original quests had). There is NOTHING in the game that holds me here, really....Except the players. I've made friends, lost friends, made more. Many hear about me and ask me for help. PD's kind of made a home - and I just can't seem to imagine life without PD.

So, while the game HAS changed (it's NOT the game that I started playing 8 years ago), some of us 'die hards' are still here - because we can't seem to leave the community that we've fallen in love with :)

Frostalite

Wizard
Characters
Frostalite and Herocrusher
Platform
Android, PC
I was playing another MMO but was getting tired of it. It was losing population (didn't bother me) and combining servers. That game would not allow you to raise ALL crafting and gathering to the same levels, you had to choose one. The problem was that each craft required high level refined products from other crafts. You had to get these from someone who could produce them. There was not much of a community so crafting high level gear was near impossible.
Then I read about V & H . It was right when rebirthing was started. That sounded like a great idea, plus I could max out any and all crafts and gathers. So I downloaded the game.
Of course , like everyone else, the wonderful community is what keeps me here.