Nyxxe

Priestess
Platform
PC, Steam
@Majenta @Nyxxe
Like I said before, you can only have your hand held so much before you need to put your big boy pants on and do something yourself.

There will always be problems you face in life and if you go at them with the "I shouldn't have to do this" or "this isn't fair" mentality then you won't get very far on your own.
And because I shouldn't have to do this, I'll make a Cs harassment ticket, and warn a mod if there's one online at that moment, and let Mad Otter do something about it.

And irl I would go to the police, take a lawyer, sue that person and justice will do her job.

Growing up (gulp, really?) as you say, is facing the problem. Not ignoring it.

Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
Let me see if I can cover all the bases.

Does this game have PvP?
No. The game is not designed for PvP.

Why has it not been added?
Because it is not designed for it.

If you don't want to PvP, you don't have to. Why can't people understand that?
Because they understand the question is invalid, due to the fact that the game is not designed for it. The game is not designed for it! Why can't people understand that the game is not designed for it?

Well, they could just have 1 on 1 dueling and no one would be forced to participate, right? That would be a simple add, right?
I see you continue to struggle with the concept that the game is not designed for it. No. you can not simply insert a part into a game engine that is not built to accommodate it. It's akin to buying a jet engine at a military surplus auction and then being upset when your mechanic insists it will not fit in your Toyota. If you were to ask him why he refuses to do the job, I imagine he would say that the car is simply not designed for it. Hmmm... where have I heard that before...

Why does anyone that makes a PvP thread get ganged up on by this allegedly "friendly" community?
In poll after poll, Roughly 75% of this community does not want PvP. Another 10% don't seem to have an opinion. When you make a thread that only 15% of the community is going to agree with, it only makes sense that the majority of the responses are going to disagree with you. That said, I think the primary reason some members get annoyed with PvP threads is that the authors refuse to acknowledge the simple fact that the game is not designed for it, regardless of how many times it's stated that the game is not designed for it.

Will PvP be added at some future date?
I believe that some form of competitive play will eventually be added to the game, but it will not be the traditional form of PvP that is featured in most other MMO's for the simple reason that the game is not designed to accommodate it. Will PvP be "added" is not actually a valid question. A more accurate phrasing would be "Will the game be redesigned at some future point to accommodate PvP?"

If you have any other questions that can not be answered with the game is not designed for it, please feel free to ask them. If the game is not designed for it can be included in the answer, I will consider that question to be invalid. It's not that I'm trying to limit your speech. It's just that it's pointless to keep asking questions for which you already know the answer; an answer that you continue to ignore. Perhaps a discussion of ideas for competitive play that take advantage of what the game is designed for would be a more fruitful topic.
I have given plenty solutions and different types of modes that could be implemented into the game, but many of you choose to ignore them. Saying "the game is not designed for it" is a lousy excuse.

I have actually spoken with one of the devs privately on this and they did not say the game isn't designed for it. The biggest factor into considering the idea of PvP is how to please both sides. That is one of the challenges behind it, not that "the game is not designed for it"......

Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
And because I shouldn't have to do this, I'll make a Cs harassment ticket, and warn a mod if there's one online at that moment, and let Mad Otter do something about it.

And irl I would go to the police, take a lawyer, sue that person and justice will do her job.

Growing up (gulp, really?) as you say, is facing the problem. Not ignoring it.
Yes, of course you would do that if it was a problem in real life. However this is a video game. You can choose to ignore someone in a video game.

Real life is obviously way different.

Reactions: Nyxxe
  • Angryx1

Pookey

Hunter
Characters
Pookey2
Platform
PC
You obviously have not been the victim of the type of harassment stayed or you would not be so cavalier about it. Frankly unless you are a woman you can’t imagine what the type of harassment is that we speak of. This is why many many of us take on male toons. So again unless you walk in my shoes please don’t judge my reaction to trolling mean aggression

Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
You obviously have not been the victim of the type of harassment stayed or you would not be so cavalier about it. Frankly unless you are a woman you can’t imagine what the type of harassment is that we speak of. This is why many many of us take on male toons. So again unless you walk in my shoes please don’t judge my reaction to trolling mean aggression
How ironic, assuming that I have never experienced it (when I already mentioned that it has happened to me before). The difference is that I didn't go on forums online and play the victim card, then blame a game mode for others behavior.

I simply ignored them. It's that easy. In real life it's different, but in the fantasy world you have the power to hold your own hand.

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
I have given plenty solutions and different types of modes that could be implemented into the game, but many of you choose to ignore them. Saying "the game is not designed for it" is a lousy excuse.

I have actually spoken with one of the devs privately on this and they did not say the game isn't designed for it. The biggest factor into considering the idea of PvP is how to please both sides. That is one of the challenges behind it, not that "the game is not designed for it"......
One of those suggestions was for one-on-one duels, which can not "be implemented into the game" as it is currently designed. We did not ignore the suggestion; you chose to ignore the response.

What a dev does not say does not constitute a statement. What I have heard more than one dev say on more than one Livestream is that V&H was designed as a cooperative game, along the lines of a PvE game, and that PvP was purposely excluded from that design. I have also heard them say that PvP is "something we are looking at" but denied having anything in the works at that moment. When a dev says that PvP was purposely excluded from the design, I interpret that as meaning the game is not designed for it.

You can dismiss the "not designed for it" phrase if you wish, but that does not render it moot. The game is not designed for it, and that's a fact that has to be taken into consideration when discussing how it can be implemented. Major portions of the game will have to be redesigned to accommodate it. You can't simply dismiss such an obvious fact and expect to have a serious discussion.

Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
One of those suggestions was for one-on-one duels, which can not "be implemented into the game" as it is currently designed. We did not ignore the suggestion; you chose to ignore the response.

What a dev does not say does not constitute a statement. What I have heard more than one dev say on more than one Livestream is that V&H was designed as a cooperative game, along the lines of a PvE game, and that PvP was purposely excluded from that design. I have also heard them say that PvP is "something we are looking at" but denied having anything in the works at that moment. When a dev says that PvP was purposely excluded from the design, I interpret that as meaning the game is not designed for it.

You can dismiss the "not designed for it" phrase if you wish, but that does not render it moot. The game is not designed for it, and that's a fact that has to be taken into consideration when discussing how it can be implemented. Major portions of the game will have to be redesigned to accommodate it. You can't simply dismiss such an obvious fact and expect to have a serious discussion.
You brought up 1 on 1 which was before I made comments/ posts about other ways to implement PvP.

CTF was one great example of how they could implement it without having to rebuild anything, as it's a team focused game mode. I haven't dismissed it, I provided ideas that could work around it, and you are choosing to neglect that.

Nyxxe

Priestess
Platform
PC, Steam
Last edited by a moderator
Let fall,

Let fall, no matter what we say, he's just waving it away as non-relevant, because he always better knows.

<mod edit>

Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
Post#23
> 1. Idk, but doesn't <balancing> refer to the available classes of combatants, such as warriors, and hunters, for example?
So, then the question would be: How would a warrior and a hunter 'duel'?
> 2. Unfortunately accept/reject type invites, can be abused by the challenger, simply by repeatedly asking the same person over and over;
not to mention challengers who do not want to accept no for an answer, have multiple other ways to harangue those who decline, and
utterly ruin their enjoyment of the game.
Ignore it? Idk what more to say. It's clearly not getting through...

It's unfortunate there are real problems in the world and people are complaining about PvP in a video game :(

Kaydee

Squirrel
Platform
PC
  • Duelling
    • No balancing needed as those that do not wish to participate aren't forced
    • It's an accept/reject system just like a party invite and can be done in any town
    • > 1. Idk, but doesn't <balancing> refer to the available classes of combatants, such as warriors, and hunters, for example?
    • So, then the question would be: How would a warrior and a hunter 'duel'?
    • > 2. Unfortunately accept/reject type invites, can be abused by the challenger, simply by repeatedly asking the same person over and over;
      not to mention challengers who do not want to accept 'No' for an answer, have multiple other ways to harangue those who decline, and
      utterly ruin their enjoyment of the game.
    • Not saying all PVPers are like that, but all it takes is one... and dealing with such players, has nothing to do with any kind of need for
      hand-holding, it is simply the type of pitb problem we shouldn't have to think about, it's a downer, and, if it happens once,
      it will happen again, and again, and... I come here to relax, not scrape off 'prickly' barnacles.

Characters
Tiffa, CyberElf
Platform
Android, PC
I'll give you an example of how adding PVP to a game can kill it if it's not done right.
The Now Defunct Private game GOR: Counter Earth
This game was based on the 1970's book serire of GOR the Chronicals os Counter Earth by John Norman.
Mainly played by Adult and Teen Males:mad::mad::mad: (Books & Game was not Female Friendly):mad::mad::mad:

It started out as a Text based RPG for fans of the series. Everyone started out as a Pesent,and had to train up to their main class: Warrior, thief, merchant, Healer, Intelect (Priest), and several other. Players gained limited skills and could cross-train into other classes or Priestege classes, or become an Outlaw, Panther-Girl (Female Ex-slave), Slave, or a Condemed One. game was based on an Open cast system, where players could only do what you cast was allowed to do, but you could change cast by training. GOR had very limited Gold supply and it was very hard to. become rich in game. Everything you needed to get had to be made, traded for, Stolen or captured from enemies. The origional PVP set up was Mission based where player would play on one of mulitple sides of a mission and have to work against each other to finish their own mission, while trying to stop ther players for compleling theirs. It was all in good fun and made sense to have ingame.

Later when actual PVP was added in Arena events the game changed and slowly became more toxic towards players who were more about having friendly fun, than battling each other. The game developer (& my friend) added some safe guards to keep harrassment at bay,even killed players accounts and banning them for like if needed, but it never stopped it completly.

New Dev staff added and game became a graphical game and new players joined and as here Players wanted More PVP, Dueling, and Open world fighting platforms. After my friend became sick and the new staff took over they added everthing players wanted and it destroyed the game. New players were harrassed and killed out right. and no one had anymore fun. The new players demanded their subcriptions refunded. and my friend almost lost his house, because of this. I as an GM (aka Mod) had to step in and start fighting the Player killers and taking everything they had and forcing them to quit. This game lasted from 1994 to 2017 (23 years) and was doing great up untill 2004, when the PVP was added.

Yes Most of the fault with the game was a bad Team running it , but also the Horible players who did not care about others.

220px-Tarnsman_of_gor_vallejo_cover.jpg9780345294166-uk.jpg

Catori

Squirrel
Platform
PC
It's unfortunate there are real problems in the world and people are complaining about PvP in a video game
You know nothing about any of us and what we go through in our personal lives in the real world. Dealing with all the stress and harrassment that fills my my real life daily, the real world problems that are part of my work days and then stepping into my place of relaxation where I come to destress and telling me I have to go through the same thing here? This game has been my place to destress for 9 years now, so yes, I do feel the need to speak up about such a drastic change to my comfort zone that helps me deal with my very stressful job.

And please don't insult me with this:
There will always be problems you face in life and if you go at them with the "I shouldn't have to do this" or "this isn't fair" mentality then you won't get very far on your own.
Again, you know nothing about me, so don't tell me what I think, how I act and what I feel, it's degrading.

And then there's this:
I feel the same way when people continue to cry wolfe while their hand is held the entire time and refuse to attempt to even help themselves instead of acting helpless all the time.
I don't cry wolf in my real life even if I had the time and chance to do it. I am not sure how you can even make this statement about a group of people you know nothing about. No one held out a helping hand when I needed it, if I had acted helpless and refused to attempt to help myself I'd have been 6 feet under with my child laying next to me. How on earth would you know if I or anyone else here acted helpless all the time?

One thing you have do right is that this is a game, a place of enjoyment, why you insist on degrading and berating us for wanting to enjoy it as it is beyond me.

Catori

Squirrel
Platform
PC
Folks, it's Sunday night. How about everyone just take a step back from this thread for awhile.
My apologies Sarah, I was writing the above as you were posting. I had planned not to post on this thread anymore, but I had to get this out of my system so I could sleep tonight. You are welcome to remove the post if you feel it's necessary. I am done beating my head against the wall trying to defend something in my life that keeps me going so I can do the job I need to everyday and come home to find some relaxation and peace and enjoyment.

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Apology accepted. To say that this is a hot topic would be putting it mildly. But let's just see if we can all take a little breather now. ;)

Reactions: Leizong
  • Likex1

Bored dude

Citizen
The feature of PvP would get boring so fast after a month of it’s introduction at its current state. A contest of who 1hits who faster/who stuns faster instead of the fun of a PvP that involves intelligence/positioning/movement skills. This game doesn’t have movement skills, nor dodging mechanics. The only movement skill I know of is charge, from warrior if canceled at the right moment, no traps not can you dodge a skill from jumping. I left this game for toram online because it has all those things, but still involve myself in the forums hehe.