Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
I'll give you an example of how adding PVP to a game can kill it if it's not done right.
The Now Defunct Private game GOR: Counter Earth
This game was based on the 1970's book serire of GOR the Chronicals os Counter Earth by John Norman.
Mainly played by Adult and Teen Males:mad::mad::mad: (Books & Game was not Female Friendly):mad::mad::mad:

It started out as a Text based RPG for fans of the series. Everyone started out as a Pesent,and had to train up to their main class: Warrior, thief, merchant, Healer, Intelect (Priest), and several other. Players gained limited skills and could cross-train into other classes or Priestege classes, or become an Outlaw, Panther-Girl (Female Ex-slave), Slave, or a Condemed One. game was based on an Open cast system, where players could only do what you cast was allowed to do, but you could change cast by training. GOR had very limited Gold supply and it was very hard to. become rich in game. Everything you needed to get had to be made, traded for, Stolen or captured from enemies. The origional PVP set up was Mission based where player would play on one of mulitple sides of a mission and have to work against each other to finish their own mission, while trying to stop ther players for compleling theirs. It was all in good fun and made sense to have ingame.

Later when actual PVP was added in Arena events the game changed and slowly became more toxic towards players who were more about having friendly fun, than battling each other. The game developer (& my friend) added some safe guards to keep harrassment at bay,even killed players accounts and banning them for like if needed, but it never stopped it completly.

New Dev staff added and game became a graphical game and new players joined and as here Players wanted More PVP, Dueling, and Open world fighting platforms. After my friend became sick and the new staff took over they added everthing players wanted and it destroyed the game. New players were harrassed and killed out right. and no one had anymore fun. The new players demanded their subcriptions refunded. and my friend almost lost his house, because of this. I as an GM (aka Mod) had to step in and start fighting the Player killers and taking everything they had and forcing them to quit. This game lasted from 1994 to 2017 (23 years) and was doing great up untill 2004, when the PVP was added.

Yes Most of the fault with the game was a bad Team running it , but also the Horible players who did not care about others.
That's unfortunate that you're friend almost lost their house, however a video game can not be blamed for that because they chose to make that financial choice.
A recent poll orchestrated by you, does not prove what you are saying here...

View attachment 3561
I'm not sure if you can see the numbers but there's 11 other people that voted yes. Hence why I said I'm not the only one that wanted because some people assume all 11 of those votes are me.

RoySamuelz

Citizen
Platform
Android, Steam
Hello Community,

So I've been playing Villagers and Heroes for about three weeks now. Overall, it is a fantastic game, and I give major props to the developers.
However, it's almost baffling to me that some kind of Player v. Player mechanic hasn't been implemented yet.
I could imagine it would be relatively simple to integrate some kind of duel system or rank for PVP, many games have found some roundabout way of implementing PVP.
It would prove beneficial to the minority of players who would also like to see some kind of player versus player mechanic.
Just my suggestion, please no toxicity, thanks.

-RoySamuelz

Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
Scrumptious, is this you? 😆

It's almost baffling to me that you haven't searched for other topics in this forum that mention PVP. Try it... We'll wait...
Yes everyone that enjoys something that you don't is me. You got me lmao. Go ask the devs to IP check.

RoySamuelz

Citizen
Platform
Android, Steam
Scrumptious, is this you? 😆

It's almost baffling to me that you haven't searched for other topics in this forum that mention PVP. Try it... We'll wait...
Excuse me? I'm not sure what's going on with you and this Scrumptious character, but I did specifically request that you refrain from being toxic in the thread. Also, might grab some popcorn and pull up a chair because you'll be waiting for a while.

SKAAVVEEK

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
I think we have reached the point where we as a community need to decide whether or not it is worth our time to engage in an endless and meaningless discussion that we have already shared our view on countless times.

I have not participated in any of the recent PvP threads for just this reason. My only request is for everyone to consider if they wish to reiterate what has already been stated or simply allow these repeat threads to exist as they are with one or two replies.

Many have expressed their views regarding PvP in a constructive manner and I am confident that the developers have followed this discussion. Now let's allow those that support PvP to post on these types of threads and witness just how popular of an idea it is. ;)

Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
I think we have reached the point where we as a community need to decide whether or not it is worth our time to engage in an endless and meaningless discussion that we have already shared our view on countless times.

I have not participated in any of the recent PvP threads for just this reason. My only request is for everyone to consider if they wish to reiterate what has already been stated or simply allow these repeat threads to exist as they are with one or two replies.

Many have expressed their views regarding PvP in a constructive manner and I am confident that the developers have followed this discussion. Now let's allow those that support PvP to post on these types of threads and witness just how popular of an idea it is. ;)
Thank you for being reasonable. Most people against PvP continue to comment on the threads starting drama for no reason. If you don't like what is being said then you aren't forced to read or even comment on the forums. But unfortunately not everyone understands this.

I'm all for discussion but I lose respect for people when they start bringing drama into a suggestion thread on something they don't like.

Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
@RoySamuelz
I would love to see 1 on 1 duels added but many have said that "It's not possible" which is wrong. It's possible they just don't want it.

I think a mode that would work better however, is CTF (capture the flag). Nothing would have to be changed on the balancing end, and we would get a team work focused mode that has PvP in it. If this doesn't please both sides then at this point I would say it's hopeless.

Nyxxe

Priestess
Platform
PC, Steam
That's unfortunate that you're friend almost lost their house, however a video game can not be blamed for that because they chose to make that financial choice.

I'm not sure if you can see the numbers but there's 11 other people that voted yes. Hence why I said I'm not the only one that wanted because some people assume all 11 of those votes are me.
Problem is, by creating multiple accounts to push your points you sure made us suspicious. But I guess we have to grow up.

Nyxxe

Priestess
Platform
PC, Steam
And always someone new on the forum just from minutes starting a thread on pvp.

Before our dear friend, that was not happening. There were thread on pvp, sure, but started by players whose been around enough time to understand the mechanics.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Shamelessly copied from another thread, but then no one responded to any of the points made on that thread, since they were so busy insulting each other. Maybe this time someone in favour of pvp will actually put forward some suggestions as to how points 3 , 4 and 5 in particular can be addressed.

So in an attempt to just for once bring the topic back to an actual discussion of pvp and its merits or demerits, I would simply like to post what I believe are the answers to the original question in the title - Why is there no pvp?

1) The game was originally designed as a co operative and friendly game which was relaxing and friendly. At that time the Devs chose not to add pvp.

2) The Dev team is fairly small and adding a feature such as pvp would involve a significant amount of work.

3) As it stands, the characters and classes are not remotely balanced for pvp. Please don't say that doesn't matter. It does. It matters enormously. For the proof of that, just look at the number of nerfs, balancing patches, reworkings etc which almost all pvp games have on a frequent and regular basis.

4) The power (or otherwise) of the majority of characters is based almost exclusively on gear. If pvp were to be introduced, it would be necessary to do one of three things - rebalance all gear currently in the game, create entirely new gear just for pvp or accept that all pvp duels or whatever were nothing to do with skill, but only based on which character has the better gear.

5) The large number of random talents or features mean that even were the gear not such a huge factor, many if not all pvp encounters would simply come down to which player succeeded in stunning the other player first. No skill, no talent at the game, just pure blind luck. Again, either redesign all gear and talents, create special gear and talents just for pvp, or accept that it is just random chance not skill that matters.

6) Every time the topic comes up (right up to the recent poll just a few days ago) the vast majority of the current playerbase indicate that they do not wish to see pvp added to the game.

The Devs may one day choose to add pvp, and if they do, I have no doubt they will address each of the points above in some shape or form. But at least for now, I believe these points answer the OP's question.

P.S. Simply posting "You're wrong" or "That's irrelevant" doesn't in any shape or form address the very real issues mentioned above. If pro pvp players are sincere in wanting to persuade people that adding pvp wouldn't just change the game but actively harm it, they need to start answering the legitimate concerns of those against pvp in a way that doesn't reinforce the view that pvp is inherently harmful.

Queeny

Citizen
Royal Guardian
Characters
Jenny The Brave ...
Platform
Android, PC
Let me see if I can cover all the bases.

Does this game have PvP?
No. The game is not designed for PvP.

Why has it not been added?
Because it is not designed for it.

If you don't want to PvP, you don't have to. Why can't people understand that?
Because they understand the question is invalid, due to the fact that the game is not designed for it. The game is not designed for it! Why can't people understand that the game is not designed for it?

Well, they could just have 1 on 1 dueling and no one would be forced to participate, right? That would be a simple add, right?
I see you continue to struggle with the concept that the game is not designed for it. No. you can not simply insert a part into a game engine that is not built to accommodate it. It's akin to buying a jet engine at a military surplus auction and then being upset when your mechanic insists it will not fit in your Toyota. If you were to ask him why he refuses to do the job, I imagine he would say that the car is simply not designed for it. Hmmm... where have I heard that before...

Why does anyone that makes a PvP thread get ganged up on by this allegedly "friendly" community?
In poll after poll, Roughly 75% of this community does not want PvP. Another 10% don't seem to have an opinion. When you make a thread that only 15% of the community is going to agree with, it only makes sense that the majority of the responses are going to disagree with you. That said, I think the primary reason some members get annoyed with PvP threads is that the authors refuse to acknowledge the simple fact that the game is not designed for it, regardless of how many times it's stated that the game is not designed for it.

Will PvP be added at some future date?
I believe that some form of competitive play will eventually be added to the game, but it will not be the traditional form of PvP that is featured in most other MMO's for the simple reason that the game is not designed to accommodate it. Will PvP be "added" is not actually a valid question. A more accurate phrasing would be "Will the game be redesigned at some future point to accommodate PvP?"

If you have any other questions that can not be answered with the game is not designed for it, please feel free to ask them. If the game is not designed for it can be included in the answer, I will consider that question to be invalid. It's not that I'm trying to limit your speech. It's just that it's pointless to keep asking questions for which you already know the answer; an answer that you continue to ignore. Perhaps a discussion of ideas for competitive play that take advantage of what the game is designed for would be a more fruitful topic.
Worth a sticky :)

Leizong

Legendary Hero
Platform
Android, PC
好了,停止你们无休止无意义的讨论,让我们来讨论一下如何让开发者赚更多钱。在这里的任何投票都没有意义,我希望有魔兽世界那么多的玩家,世界到处都可以碰到玩家,至于pvp不是那么重要。现在的情况是,如何让高等级玩家不流失,如何吸引更多的玩家,请提出每个人的建议,厌倦了无休止的讨论。

Leizong

Legendary Hero
Platform
Android, PC
请参考我的建议

Caly

BRA Member
Characters
Caly Adaria Chrysis & 2 others
Platform
PC
Hello Community,

So I've been playing Villagers and Heroes for about three weeks now. Overall, it is a fantastic game, and I give major props to the developers.
However, it's almost baffling to me that some kind of Player v. Player mechanic hasn't been implemented yet.
I could imagine it would be relatively simple to integrate some kind of duel system or rank for PVP, many games have found some roundabout way of implementing PVP.
It would prove beneficial to the minority of players who would also like to see some kind of player versus player mechanic.

-RoySamuelz
Welcome to V n h I have nothing else to say.

Scrumptious

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android
@Majenta

I have already touched on the points you have addressed, but I will do it again. This time I will replying to points 3,4,5 as they are essentially the same thing just reworded.

I will try to make it look clean so it's easy to understand for others.

Here is how PvP could be added without
  • rebuilding the game
  • balancing classes
  • creating new gear
I constantly see those against PvP bring up those three points and how they would be a huge time factor. As this game is currently geared more towards PvE here is a game mode that would fit perfectly.

Capture The Flag
  • 2 teams
  • 2 flags
  • Team with most flags captured at the end of X minutes wins
This would work without changing anything because the focus is on the flags. You can attack other players in the match to defend/retrieve a flag, however the matches would be different every time based on your team comp/ strategies/ routes taken, etc. For such a simple game there's a number of strategic factors involved, it's not just who has the best gear.

To brain storm around that, if the gear factor is still an argument against it. A simple scaling feature could be implemented that way everyone is at the same level temporarily while in the zone. OR there could be matchmaking based on level. For example levels 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, etc.

This game mode also promotes and revolves heavily around teamwork as 1 person is going to have a very hard time against 2 or more.

I hope this better explains, and paves the way for new ideas.

As for the vulchers veiwing that aren't going to take this comment serious. Go ahead and react with your salt faces to my comment. I actually find it amusing.

Cheers!

dustbunny

Squirrel
Platform
iOS, PC
Hello Community,

-RoySamuelz
Ok, old cynic here, but when 3 threads pops up in about as many days and two of them claim to be new, but use the same wording as the first one, I am very suspicious. If you are new, and have not read the forums yet ( if so, would have probably posted in the open PVP thread to voice your opinon) but instead start a new one that uses some of the same wording....... well, curiouser and curiouser. And no, i'm and not claiming anything about anyone. I just find this very interesting my dear Watson.
One thing I will also mention, it has been stated, by another fan of PVP, we that don't want it should just ignore pvp IF it were added to the game. I wonder if said person could do the same when it comes to pvp thread. Just ignore it? :) not so easy, is it.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Actually, nothing in your post answers any of the points I mentioned. All a team based version of pvp might change about the issues I mentioned would be that the team with the best gear would win instead of the player with the best gear.

That and it adds issues of scaling, choosing teams, balancing groups, but of course none of that matters, right?