Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Last edited by a moderator
party.jpg

What a great 12 days it was! So many fantastic entries from all of the servers! ALL should be congratulated! :D But we do have a winning server to announce:

US3 emerged the champion. (They won 5 out of the 6 contests!) Well done, US3! You have just won yourselves a big party in-game with lots of gifts, giveaways, games and more which will be livestreamed by the Otters! Ardent City. Be there!

Individual Contest Winners
The Event Committee had the unenviable task of selecting individual contest winners from a huge group of truly wonderful submissions. The talent and creativity of our community is one of a kind. So you should all be very proud of yourselves.

And the winners are....

Christmas Card Contest
First Place = Zarola (US1)
Second Place = Lorna (EU2)

card_zarola.jpg
By Zarola

card_lorna.png
By Lorna1

Vault Ornament Contest
First Place = Omnigma (US2)
Second Place = Melisandre (EU2)

vault_omni.png
3 Wise Guys Following the Norse Star -- By Omnigma

vault_melisandre.jpg
Rudoph the Red Nosed Reindeer --- By Melisandre

Christmas Story Contest
First Place = Zephyr (US3): The Wizard's Curse
Second Place = Louisa (EU2): The Stolen Christmas Presents

The Wizards Curse

The hairy big toe on Grinchta's left foot was itching and burning. "A sign of snow coming maybe? Or has someone or something from the mystical lands outside my lair cast a spell on me? I don't remember insulting anyone recently!"

Meanwhile in a cave far away over the mountains, where the air was hot and smoke rose from deep fissures between the rocks a mumbling could be heard above the crackling of flames from a fire. The figure crouching over the coals was tired after a long journey from Grinchta's lair in the far cold north where he had been taking gifts to his northern kin. He had left them on the gifting stone, a rocky shelf free from snow, under an
overhang near Grinchta's den, where his kin would leave their gifts for travelling wizards like himself.
He had just received an s-mail through his staff, and was extremely angry.
"Whoever did this will be punished" he raged. "Do they not know I put a curse of the burning itch on anyone who dares to disturb my gifts?

Grinchta could no longer stand the burning itchy toe. Grumbling to himself, he limped his way out of his den and through the snow to the only person he knew who might be able to shed some light on the problem. He had hoped the cold snow would have eased his toe, but instead seemed to make it worse.
He came to a dark doorway built into the side of a hill, a pair of dancing candy cones standing on either side blocking his way.
"Let me by" Grinchta said impatiently, "I have business with your Master". The candy cones sniggered, dancing round Grinchta. "Give us a present" they sang. Grinchta delved into one of his pockets and produced two fruit cakes. "You may pass" sang one of the cones, giving Grinchta a crafty whack on his butt as he passed through.

The room was dark and seemed to stretch as far as the eye could see. A dimly lit figure was sitting on a barrel of Mad Otter Ale.
Approaching the figure, Grintcha had to hold his sleeve over his nose. "Eeew, what is that disgusting odour? It smells like a dead reindeer's hind quarters!"
A snickering elf with insomnia and dental hygiene issues stood up and gave a huge yawn. "Urgh - your breath is enough to slay the hardiest warrior!" Grincha said through the sleeve held across his face.
The elf looked at Grinchta disdainfully. "What brings your miserable self, fatter than ever I see, to my domain? Rarely do you venture out of your lair except on Christmas eve."
"I need your help" Grinchta appealed to the elf. "My toe......." The elf doubled up with laughter before Grinchta could go on. He laughed and laughed sending wafts of bad breath towards Grinchta who cringed.
"I know what you did!" the elf said between laughs, "you sneaked a bite of the uneaten cookies baked by a disillusioned fire wizard! Those cookies were spell fused with magic currants! I can help but I want payment in advance! And not one of those cheap kid's toys from your sack!"
Grinchta dug deep into a pocket and handed the elf a single unwrapped present which would occasionally levitate in the air.
"You have paid handsomely , that dream will aid my insomnia!" With that, the elf quickly caught the present in a large wicker laundry bin, and snapped the lid on. "Unfortunately there is only one way to dispel the curse. As a penance, you must appear every two hours in your den until Christmas is over, bringing fun and laughter to the citizens of Ardent."
So Grinchta limped back to his lair and there you will find him until after Christmas, when the curse will be lifted.

Zephyr US3
The Wizard's Curse --- By Zephyr

(English & german version / Englische & deutsche Version)

The stolen Christmas presents
by Louisa, EU2

‘Layana, Farina, get out of bed! Meli, Lujo, Loui, Tia! Come on! Ysibi, Stüppe, hopp hopp! Look outside, it's snowing. How beautiful it looks!’ I cheered while laughing and dancing around in circles. After trying in vain to wake up the remaining members of our guild, I went down to the living room. After all, it was Christmas and Santa Claus probably had sneaked through the chimney early in the morning, drunk the milk and eaten the biscuits. And he certainly has left some presents under the richly decorated Christmas tree.

However, when I entered the living room, there were only a few pine needles under the Christmas tree. No sign of gifts! But strangely enough the glass of milk and the plate of biscuits were emptied to the last bite. I ran back upstairs to tell the others about my discovery. At the top step I ran into Malcom, Lütte, Sigi and Wintana and while I told them what I had found below, the others also came out of their rooms. ‘Why are you shouting so loudly, Daria?’ Lujo exclaimed a little annoyed. So I told them once again about the missing presents. She looked at me with wide eyes and screamed, ‘What do you mean there are no presents? That’s impossible! I have put... I mean, I saw Santa Claus landing on the roof with his sled! We have to look for the presents! "

After some time and a long search later, we finally found an elf who admitted to having stolen the presents out of boredom as he has been unable to sleep properly for some time now. Giggling he added, ‘And I will not tell you where I hid them ... except... yes, unless you bring me some cookies!" We looked at each other at a loss. Where should we get cookies on Christmas Eve? Meli was the one, who had a solution. ‘What about the uneaten Christmas cookies baked by a disillusioned fire wizard? He used to love Christmas, but since he knows that Santa Claus is no…’. She abruptly stopped talking, looking at me. ‘Great idea!’ Layana exclaimed enthusiastically, ‘let's go, let's visit him.’ A short ride later we arrived at the house of the fire wizard. He seemed to be very happy to get rid of his cookies. Well, at least he did not hesitate to hand over his cookies to hand them over. With bags full of baked goods we reached the elf again, whose eyes lit up when he saw the many cookies. Giggling he took them from our hands. Glancing down at his teeth, Farina shook her head and said, ‘a snickering elf with insomnia and dental hygiene issues – how extraordinary!"

The elf took another delicious bite, then said with his mouth full, ‘The presents are in the back, you just have to go through the gate and then you'll see them." After a short walk we reached a large hall, in which many colorful packages were stacked up to a high tower. Just as I was about to go closer, Malcom grabbed my arm. ‘Look... Grinchta!’ I looked into the direction he was pointing and saw a huge green monster, which threw us with a withering glare. However, before anyone could react, Loui noticed a relatively large red egg coming out of a gift and hovering a few feet above the ground. ‘A single, unwrapped present which would occasionally levitate in the room from time to time or is it a trick from Grinchta to confuse us?" asked Stüppe perplexed. Ysibi whispered, ‘That's a gift, but it's not supposed to fly just yet!" Suddenly I heard a crack and saw that the egg was cracking open. Seconds later the first part of the shell fell away and a small red dragon's head popped out of the egg. He looked around curiously and freed himself from the egg completely by jumping onto the pile of gifts that was next to him. He immediately started stretching and flapped his wings. After a short hesitation, he tried to lift from the ground, which he did after a few failed attempts. He flew over our heads, did a lap around the room and settled down right in front of Grinchta. ‘No, please don’t!’ whispered Lütte with a faint groan. Everyone was worried about the little dragon, but no-one dared to approach Grinchta. Grinchta herself scowled down at the dragon and grunted something incomprehensible. Then he bent down trying to grab him.
However, the dragon was faster and bit into the hairy big toe on Grinchta's left foot, who started shouting loudly and tried to get rid of the dragon by swinging his leg back and forth. The little dragon still did not let go. Getting out of our stupor we pulled our weapons (contrary to the Christmas mood) and attacked Grinchta. After a few feints and blows we had broken through his defence, which caused him to retire and ran out through another gate. Fortunately, the little dragon let go of his leg and turned to us. Once he had examined us all curiously, he came to me, climbed up my clothes and sat on my shoulder. I beamed at him and stroked his little head. Just as I thought we were ready to leave, the dragon slid off my shoulder and lunged himself at a pair of dancing candy canes that circled the room. Satisfied, we watched him chase after them. The gifts are save - Christmas is saved! All's well that ends well.

Die gestohlenen Weihnachtsgeschenke
von Louisa, EU2

"Na los doch, steht endlich auf! Layana, Farina, raus aus den Federn! Meli, Lujo, Loui, Tia! Na kommt schon. Ysibi, Stüppe, hopp hopp! Schaut doch einmal hinaus, es hat geschneit. Wie wunderbar", jauchzte ich und drehte mich lachend im Kreis. Nachdem ich vergeblich versucht hatte, die restlichen Mitglieder unserer Gilde zu wecken, ging ich hinunter ins Wohnzimmer. Schließlich war heute Weihnachten, da hatte der Weihnachtsmann sich bestimmt schon früh morgens durch den Schornstein hineingeschlichen, die Milch getrunken und die Kekse vernascht. Und dann hatte er sicherlich noch ein paar Geschenke unter den reichlich geschmückten Tannenbaum gelegt.Doch als ich das Wohnzimmer betrat, befanden sich unter dem Weihnachtsbaum nur ein paar Tannennadeln, von Geschenken weit und breit keine Spur. Doch komischerweise war das Glas mit der Milch und der Teller mit den Keksen bis auf den letzten Rest geleert.
Ich lief wieder nach oben, um den anderen von meiner Entdeckung zu berichten. Als ich oben ankam, kamen mir bereits Malcom, Lütte, Sigi und Wintana entgegen. Während ich ihnen berichtete, was ich unten vorgefunden hatte, kamen die anderen ebenfalls aus ihren Zimmern. "Was soll denn diese Lautstärke, Daria?", fragte Lujo etwas genervt. Ich erzählte auch ihr noch einmal von den fehlenden Geschenken. Sie schaute mich mit großen Augen an. "Wie, die Geschenke sind weg?! Ich hab die doch selb... ich hab doch den Weihnachtsmann gesehen, wie er mit seinem Schlitten auf dem Dach gelandet ist! Das kann doch nicht sein! Wir müssen sie suchen gehen!"

Nach einiger Zeit und nach einer langen Suche fanden wir schließlich einen Elfen, der zugab, die Geschenke aus Langeweile gestohlen zu haben, da er in letzter Zeit nicht mehr schlafen konnte. Kichernd fügte er hinzu: "Und ich sage euch nicht, wo ich sie versteckt habe.. außer.. ja, außer ihr bringt mir ein paar Plätzchen!" Wir sahen uns ratlos an. Woher sollten wir denn jetzt auf die Schnelle Plätzchen bekommen? Plötzlich hatte Meli den rettenden Einfall:"Was ist denn mit den nicht gegessenen Weihnachtsplätzchen, die der desillusionierte Feuerzauberer gebacken hatte? Der hatte es doch früher immer so mit Weihnachten, aber seitdem er weiß, dass der Weihnachtsmann n...". Sie schaute mich an und beendete ihren Satz nicht. "Super Idee!", rief Layana begeistert, "los, lasst uns ihn besuchen."
Einen kurzen Ritt später kamen wir beim Haus von dem Zauberer an. Dieser schien sehr froh zu sein, seine Plätzchen loszuwerden, jedenfalls ließ er sich nicht lange bitten und schmiss uns die letzten Kekse hinterher. Die Säcke voll mit Keksen erreichten wir wieder den Elfen. Dessen Augen leuchteten auf, als er die vielen Plätzchen sah und stürzte sich mit einem Kichern darauf. Als Farina einen Blick auf seine Zähne warf, bemerkte sie kopfschüttelnd: "Ein kichernder Elf, der an Schlaflosigkeit leidet und Probleme mit der Zahnpflege hat - was es nicht alles gibt!"

Der Elf biss noch einmal genüsslich in ein Plätzchen, dann sagte er mit vollem Mund: "Die Geschenke liegen dort hinten. Ihr müsst nur einmal durch das Tor gehen und dann seht ihr sie schon." Nach einem kurzen Fußweg erreichten wir einen großen Saal, in dem tatsächlich in der Mitte viele bunt verpackte Pakete lagen. Doch gerade als ich darauf zu laufen wollte, hielt Malcom mich am Arm fest. "Sieh doch nur.. Grinchta!" Ich schaute an dem Geschenkehaufen vorbei und sah ein riesiges grünes Monster, welches uns mit einem vernichtenden Blick betrachtete. Bevor allerdings irgendwer reagieren konnte, bemerkte Loui, dass ein verhältnismäßig großes rotes Ei aus einem Geschenk heraus kam und ein paar Meter über dem Boden flog. "Ist das ein einzelnes, ausgepacktes Weihnachtsgeschenk, das ab und an in der Luft schwebt? Oder ist es ein Trick von Grinchta, um uns zu verwirren?", fragte Stüppe perplex. Ysibi raunte ihm zu:"Das ist ein Geschenk, aber es sollte eigentlich noch gar nicht fliegen!" Plötzlich hörte ich ein Knacken und sah, dass das Ei Risse bekam. Als das erste Schalenstück herunterfiel, schaute ein kleiner roter Drachenkopf aus dem Ei heraus. Es schaute sich neugierig um und befreite den Rest seines Körpers von dem Ei, indem er auf den Geschenkehaufen sprang, welcher sich neben ihm befand. Dort streckte er sich und schlug probehalber mit den Flügeln. Nach einem kurzen Zögern versuchte er zu fliegen, was er nach einigen Fehlversuchen auch schaffte. Er flog direkt über unsere Köpfe weg, drehte eine Runde und ließ sich direkt vor Grinchta nieder. "Nein, bitte nicht", kam nur ein leises Stöhnen von Lütte, die sich Sorgen um den kleinen Drachen machte. Doch keiner von uns wagte es, sich Grinchta zu nähern. Grinchta selbst schaute finster auf den Drachen herab und brummte etwas unverständliches. Dann bückte er sich und wollte ihn packen.
Der Drache jedoch war schneller und biss in den haarigen großen Zeh von Grinchtas linken Fuß. Dieser brüllte laut auf und versuchte ihn abzuschütteln, indem er sein Bein hin und her schwang. Der kleine Drache ließ aber noch immer nicht los. Da wurden wir aktiv, zogen unsere Waffen (entgegen der weihnachtlichen Stimmung) und griffen Grinchta an. Nach einigen Finten und Hieben hatten wir dessen Abwehr soweit durchbrochen, dass er sich zurückziehen musste. Er lief durch ein anderes Tor hinaus. Der kleine Drache ließ glücklicherweise von ihm ab und blieb bei uns. Nachdem er alle einmal neugierig gemustert hatte, kam er zu mir, kletterte an meiner Kleidung hoch und setzte sich auf meine Schulter. Ich schaute ihn strahlend an und streichelte seinen Kopf. Als ich gerade dachte, dass wir nun endlich gehen könnten, glitt der Drache von meiner Schulter und stürzte sich auf ein Paar tanzender Zuckerstangen, welche in dem Raum ihre Kreise zogen. Zufrieden schauten wir ihm zu, wie er ihnen hinterherjagte. Geschenke gerettet - Weihnachten gerettet. Ende gut - alles gut.
The Stolen Christmas Presents --- By Louisa

Original Drawings Contest
First Place = Dawn Chorus (EU1)
Second Place = TweetyBird (US3)

drawing_dawn.JPG
By Dawn Chorus

drawing_tweety.jpg
By TweetyBird

Meme Contest
First Place =
Katniss Everdeen (US3)
Second Place = TessaIsabel (EU1)

meme_katnis.png
By Katniss Everdeen

meme_tessa.jpg
By TessaIsabel

Platform
PC
Super contest.. congrats to all the winners.. I think everyone had a great time with all the contest.
I am so surprised but tickled pink that the drawing won a prize.
A perfect Merry After Christmas

Sasha

Squirrel
Characters
Sidra
Platform
PC
Congratulations to all of the winners and a huge thank you to those who participated!

And bravo to US3!
See you guys at the party!

Witch

Jack Of All Trades
Royal Guardian
Characters
Witch,Witchcraft, Witchbrew
Platform
PC
Gratulation an alle Gewinner und an alle Teilnehmer, es war toll soviel Kreativität zu sehen 😊